Basel – Bern – Jungfraujoch and back over 4 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2016 at 17:08:20 #808259

Hey,

Is it worth buying a Rail Pass and if so, which one? Any help would be amazing… 

Day 1: Basel Euroairport to Bern.

Day 2: Explore Bern (no travel).

Day 3: Bern to Jungfraujoch and back.

Day 4: Bern to Basel Euroairport.

Basel Euroairport to Bern is CHF 22.20 and Bern to Jungfraujoch is CHF 65.10, so probably a return total CHF 174.60 (GBP 120). I also understand that my hotel gives out a free Bern travel pass.

Is it worth buying a Rail Pass for this travel? Am I forgetting something and/or restricting myself? E.g. Jungfraujoch to Sphinx Observatory via Grindelwald etc.? Sphinx Observatory is to be my highlight…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    11 January 2016 at 19:16:39 #847602

Welcome six8ight,

The prices you mentioned are actually double that amount. Please see here for how to find ticket prices in the timetable. I recommend a Swiss Half Fare Card. A list of good retailers can be found here.

I would indeed recommend to go up to Jungfraujoch via Wengen and down via Grindelwald, but that does not make much of a difference price wise.

Does this help you out?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 January 2016 at 1:02:34 #847603

As Arno noted – the timetable prices assume that you are a Swiss resident with a half fare abonnement. “(Halb-tax”). So, you will not get the fares you quoted without buying a half fare card.

Spend 120CHF (I think that is the current price…?) to save 175 CHF…..and, additional 50 % savings if you add in any spur of the moment trips, or use the trams in Bern.

Bern is a nice city to walk around in. An occasional tram is helpful, too.

The arcaded streets in the old town keep you out of the weather.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn

Have a great trip.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2016 at 0:10:51 #847604

Cheers Arno and Slowpoke. Have to admit it, I was pretty lost in all the info out there. You’ve done an excellent job of breaking it down. Just in the nick of time too, better on that half fare pass as I fly tomorrow!

• The thread ‘Basel – Bern – Jungfraujoch and back over 4 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.