May 22, 2016 - 7:17 AM
in reply to ianfr
1. Basel to Chur takes about 2h15, so you will manage to spend a couple of hours in Zurich along the way. Our Zurich page may help you decide whether you think it's worth a visit. Depending on the amount of luggage you carry along, you can store it in lockers or at the luggage department of the Zurich railway station. Alternatively, you can have it sent ahead using on of the SBB's luggage services.
2. Yes, Chur has a nice old town centre. Information can be found here.
3. If Basel-Chur and Chur-Tirano are the only journeys you plan to make, regular tickets will be cheaper. If you plan any further (side) trips, a rail pass may be more economical. Here's how to find out.
4. Yes, seat reservations are required. The appropriate information can be found at our Bernina Express page.
5. Yes, that's probably the case, but you should calculate all of your plans for Italy (similarly to the process linked to above) and then decide whether point to point tickets or a rail pass make more sense.