Basel to Switzerland itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2015 at 20:41:59 #807568

hi all,

I am planning for the 4 day trip with my pregnant wife and so a bit worried about the itinary and safety. We have planned the below details. Please help to fine tune or add some things which are missing:

1. day1-arrive at basel airport 6 pm. stay at basel

2. day2- basel to lucerene mt pilatus, lucerene lake and back to basel (here confused to stay in luceren or not ?)

3. day 3 – basel to interlaken/grindewald and if weather permits then jaungfrau stay in here

4.day 4 – any suggestion please will be at interlaken. or can do mt rigi and swap this day for jaungfrau. in evening will return to basel (as thinking of taking 3 day pass)

5.day 5- basel local roaming and flight at 5 pm in evening.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 July 2015 at 6:36:14 #844530

Hi krunalb, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Personally I would travel straight to Lucerne on day 1. There are two advantages to that: you’ll have a full day for your excursions on day 2, and you can travel from Lucerne to Interlaken via the scenic Golden Pass line on day 3. The disadvantage is that you would need a 4-day pass.

Mount Rigi and Jungfraujoch are very different. The price is very different as well. Assuming you’ll buy a Swiss Travel Pass, the Rigi trip is free and Jungfraujoch is the most expensive mountain trip in Switzerland (although you do get a discount).

Please see the below pages for hotel suggestions:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2015 at 6:41:21 #844531

Hi arno,

Thanks for the info. But in the golden pass line, is it free for lucerne till montreux for 3 day pass ? and i can do is stay in lucerene the second night and use the golden line to interlaken.

moreover, any suggestion for the day 4 ?

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 July 2015 at 14:21:16 #844532

Hi krunalb,

Yes, the Golden Pass line is free with a Swiss Travel Pass (see here for what’s covered). You can find lots of tips for activities for day 4 here: myswissalps.com/ interlaken/ activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2015 at 20:03:32 #844533

Thanks for the response.. I have another query .. I am staying at Grindelwad for the last 2 days so I want to know if Grindewald to Kleine Scheidegg is covered in Swiss Pass and from there to Jungfrau 25% off ?

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 July 2015 at 20:22:19 #844534

Hi krunalb,

The link in my previous post has all the details on what’s covered.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2015 at 10:27:28 #844535

Yes got that one … it is 25% off. so the changed itinerary is as below:

1. basel reach in eve and night stay

2. Lucerene and mt pilatus stay in eve at there

3. lucerne city and mt rigi -train to grindelwald the golden pass stay in grindelwald

4. jaungfrau if weather permits

5. golden line to montreaux and back to basel

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 July 2015 at 13:12:03 #844536

The plan looks good to me, and it would fit a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass (day 2 to 5). From the UK you can get the pass through either http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk or http://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/swiss-pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2015 at 15:25:33 #844537

Thanks arno… also regarding the discount on the swiss travel pass .. can i buy from those site but i stay in uk ? so will that be an issue?

also regarding jungfrau.. buying from grindelwald is recommended or in advnace ?

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 July 2015 at 15:51:54 #844538

Hi krunalb,

The websites I mentioned deliver to the UK without shipping costs.

The Jungfraujoch ticket can best be purchased once you know for sure the weather will be fine, so you can do so in Grindelwald.

• The thread ‘Basel to Switzerland itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.