Beatenberg as a base for hiking holiday?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2010 at 10:35:12 #803806

Hello, I posed a question here before on boat trips on lake Brienz and gained some interesting tips. I hope you can help me out again with another problem: when looking for the perfect resort in the Bernese Oberland as a base for our hiking and train holiday, we absolutely fell in love with the pictures of Beatenberg above lake Thun. If we’re able to rent an apartment with such wonderful views as displayed all over on the internet, that would be amazing. But I worry that it might not be the best base in terms of location and traveling times and I’m not sure how to find out. Would you recommend Beatenberg as a starting point for train trips, cable cars and hikes in the Bernese Oberland? And if not, what other resorts with similar panoramic views would be a better option? Thank you in advance!

MrEdwards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    28 April 2010 at 4:21:36 #831194

Hello MrEdwards,
    You pointed out the issue pretty well: Beatenberg has stunning views and its location is absolutely beautiful. But it isn’t exactly a central location. Hikes can be made from the village and up and around the Niederhorn, but if you want to take hikes elsewhere or make train trips, you’ll first have to travel to Interlaken (about half an hour by bus). You should try to consider what’s more important for you: a central location or pretty views.

Beautiful views can be found elsewhere too, although there are little villages with such panoramic views as Beatenberg. But Mönch, Jungfrau and/or Breithorn are visible from quite some resorts, such as Interlaken, Wilderswil, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Wengen. Of course it does depend on your hotel or appartment. Wilderswil is located quite centrally and requires only little traveling time to Interlaken and other resorts. You may also consider a resort along the lake shore, such as Brienz (very suitable for exporing the eastern part of the Bernese Oberland) along lake Brienz and Spiez along lake Thun. Many apartments there offer brilliant views over the lake and the surrounding hills.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2010 at 10:19:41 #831195

Hi MrEdwards, personally I wouldn’t opt for Beatenberg. It’s a beautiful spot and very nice for those who plan relatively short (family) holidays. But if you want to explore the area a bit you’re better off in a resort with a train station. Many locations are beautiful and offer nice views, not always at snow-capped mountains, but a friendly green landscape can be beautiful as well. If a nice view is important for you, try to find out what it’s like before renting the apartment, by asking the owners for some pictures.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2010 at 11:18:59 #831196

Hello Mr. Edwars, I couldn’t agree more with Annika and Atmer-60. I know Beatenberg pretty well and I wouldn’t like to spend all of my vacation there. Although it is really beautiful – and, as said, escpecially the views – I would find it not handy to have to take a bus or my car to get “down” for other activities. Just my two cents… 😉

Thomas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2010 at 14:54:45 #831197

You all seem to agree on this. Thank you for clarifying this! I already figured that Beatenberg had some disadvantages as well, but reading your answers I’m convinced I’ll have to be looking elsewhere. Has anyone of you stayed in Interlaken and how did you like this?

MrEdwards

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    1 May 2010 at 10:20:25 #831198

If you’re looking for a charming Swiss village with stunning views yet good accessibility, Wengen is your spot. Visit http://www.wengen.com for some basic info. There are many things to do in Wengen and surrounding areas. If you are looking to rent a chalet or apartment, I can highly recommend Chalet Service. I have been renting through them for 13 years and have referred many others to them who have been very happy. Contact info:
    Chalet-Service
    Dorothee and Adolph von Allmen
    CH-3823 Wengen
    [email protected]
    http://www.chalet-service.com
    Tel: + 41-79-415-05-54
    Fax: + 41-33-855-38-71
    They will send you links/messages with lots of information and pictures of various rentals that fit your requirements.
    Let me know if you’d like more info about Wengen, I’ve been there many times and could, literally, probably fill a guidebook!
    Interlaken is a large, touristy town. It’s not in the Alps, although you can see the mountains from there. If shopping and gambling are your goals, it’s a fine place. Otherwise, not so much.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    2 May 2010 at 3:11:38 #831199

[quote]MrEdwards said: You all seem to agree on this. Thank you for clarifying this! I already figured that Beatenberg had some disadvantages as well, but reading your answers I’m convinced I’ll have to be looking elsewhere. Has anyone of you stayed in Interlaken and how did you like this?

MrEdwards[/quote]Hello MrEdwards – although I have never stayed in Interlaken itself, I have always found it nice to have a city in the neighbourhood. I would never choose Interlaken as a place to stay, but I would look for smaller places around Interlaken (like I did more than twenty times…). For us, places like Wilderswil, Lauterbrunnen, or places at the Lake of Thun or Lake of Brienz would always win. Wengen (sorry, kim11 ;-)) is beautiful, but it is car free and you will always have to take a train to your starting point for a hike or whatever you want to do…

I understand it’s hard to choose, there are so many wonderful places! But I’m sure you will find your own ultimate place to stay. Keep asking 🙂 and searching, you’ll get there!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2010 at 10:07:05 #831200

It’s all becoming a bit confusing by now, but I highly appreciate your tips! It’s clear to me now that Interlaken will not be my choice either, so I’m moving forward already… 🙂

Kim, I’ve been looking into Wengen and indeed, it seems to have a stunning location and magnificent views. Thank you also for your reference to Chalet Service, I’ll keep that in mind. I’ll be doing more research on Wengen, with Wilderswil as a runner-up…. and at some point I must be able to make up my mind!

Thank you again!

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    3 May 2010 at 15:47:07 #831201

Mr Edwards:

I know it’s hard to choose! Here is some more info and opinion on Wengen:

There are at least a half a dozen hikes you can do with Wengen as your “trail head” (i.e., no train travel required to get to starting point), including two of the most spectacular, must-do hikes in the entire Bernese Oberland: Wengen to Mannlichen and Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg. There is also a nice path down to Lauterbrunnen (or a 15 minute beautiful train ride) where you can pick up the trail for a walk up the Lauterbrunnen Valley, to include seeing the impressive Trummelbach Falls. Also, if a visit to the Jungfraujoch is on your agenda, Wengen is a very convenient base as the trains to Jungfraujoch run right through the village.

There are some other must-do’s (IMO) in the region: a cruise on Lake Brienz, a visit to Ballenberg Open Air Museum, the stunning Schynige Platte to First hike. All of these will require some train travel from Wengen, but that’s part of the fun. The trains all work perfectly, are well coordinated, clean and safe — a joy to ride. Please note that ANYWHERE you stay will require some form of public transport (train, gondola, bus) to cover the region’s highlights.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    3 May 2010 at 15:49:55 #831202

Oops, forgot to include a link I recently found — great pictures of Wengen

http://www.pictures-switzerland.com/wengen/index.htm

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2010 at 7:48:31 #831203

Hello Kim, thanks again for your detailed info and the link to the pictures of Wengen – they sure are beautiful. I haven’t decided yet, but all information helps a bit. Maybe I should request some brochure material as well.

• The thread ‘Beatenberg as a base for hiking holiday?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.