Being Cost effective to Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2010 at 11:20:04 #805040

I would like to get to Jungfraujoch that would include some hikes, ascending and descending, but also keeping the cost minimal using a half fare pass. My research looks like these, but I do not know what the hike would entail in terms of difficulty and time, especially since the weather could change at any time.

1. Cable car Lauterbrunnen to Mannlichen, hike to Kleine Scheidegg, ride to Jungfraujoch, ride back to KS, hike down to Wengen, cable car to Lauterbrunnen?

2. Cable car to Jungfraujoch, ride back to KS, hike down to Wengen, cable car to Lauterbrunnen?

3. Hiking from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, then to KS. roundtrip to Jungfraujoch, hike down from KS to Lauterbrunnen or hike down from KS to Wengen, cable car to Lauterbrunnen.

OR are there other avenues, keeping in mind, cost, time, and hiking difficulty?

I am a moderate hiker.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    1 August 2010 at 15:48:07 #835221

I would encourage you not to worry about cost. The expensive part of the journey up to Jungfraujoch is from Eigergletscher station (the farthest up you can hike) to the top and back. Travel below that is much less expensive.

The transportation in the Jungfrau region is managed by the Jungfraubahn. You can research all the fares for mountain transports (trains, gondolas, cable cars, etc at http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-4//327_read-2542/.

You are wise to understand that weather is a consideration! You don’t say when you are going but you should always dress in layers, have a waterproof shell, and sunblock.

Specific answers to your query:

[1. Cable car Lauterbrunnen to Mannlichen, hike to Kleine Scheidegg, ride to Jungfraujoch, ride back to KS, hike down to Wengen, cable car to Lauterbrunnen?]

There is no cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Mannlichen. You must take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, then the gondola from the center of Wengen up to Mannlichen. Both are very lovely rides. The train is 15 – 20 minutes, the gondola 7 minutes.

The hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is stunning and a “must do” (by the way, walking is the only way you can get between these two points). It is about 2.8 miles on a very wide path with 50 meters/160 feet ascent and 200 meters /660 feet of gradual descent. A very easy hike but extremely panoramic.

From Kleine Scheidegg you could either take the train up to Jungfraujoch or hike up to Eigergletscher station and catch the Jungfraujoch train on its way up there. The hike up is short (less than a mile) but a little bit steep with 260 meters/858 feet of vertical ascent. It is a 10 minute train ride between Kleine Scheidegg and Eigergletscher station.

On your return, you could certainly hike down from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen. It is about 4 miles, 785 meters/2600 feet of descent, takes about 2 hours. You would then take the train (no cable car) from Wengen down to Lauterbrunnen.

[2. Cable car to Jungfraujoch, ride back to KS, hike down to Wengen, cable car to Lauterbrunnen?]

There is no cable car to Jungfaujoch, only train. You could go directly up from Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch by train. You will stop (but not change trains) in Wengen, stop and change trains in Kleine Scheidegg, then go straight up from there with a stop (no train change) at Eigergletscher station.

[3. Hiking from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, then to KS. roundtrip to Jungfraujoch, hike down from KS to Lauterbrunnen or hike down from KS to Wengen, cable car to Lauterbrunnen.]

Hiking from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg (via Wengen) is probably a bit more than you will want to do. The Wengen to KS portion alone is 4 miles with 785 meters/2600 feet of ascent. The hike from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is steep in places and is about the same amount of distance and climbing. That would be a long hike!

My recommendation would be to take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, the gondola from Wengen to Mannlichen, hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, take the train up to Jungfraujoch, return by train to Kleine Scheidegg, hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen, then take the train back down to Lauterbrunnen. This is the best from a difficulty and views standpoint.

There are very good descriptions of hikes in the area (including some of these) at http://www.walkingswitzerland.com

Annika
    7116 posts
    2 August 2010 at 12:29:12 #835222

Thank you Kim, for your detailed reply. Some additional notes for you, kauaisam:

• you can plan your trips through the Swiss timetable and the Jungfraubahnen timetables. Please refer to the Männlichen website for that specific timetable;
    • a variation of the plan Kim proposed under #3 would be to get up to Wengen by train, to Männlichen by cable car, walk to Kleine Scheidegg, make a return trip to Jungfraujoch and then head back, either by foot or by train, via Grindelwald. This will cost some extra time and it would be quite a full scheme for 1 day. But if you have time left, or if you can spend a few days in this area, it would be nice if you could try to explore the ‘Grindelwald side’ of Kleine Scheidegg as well. The train trip between Grindelwald and Kleine Scheidegg is amazing and litteraly comes across the foot of the impressive Eiger north face. Walking down from Kleine Scheidegg is do-able as well. It would require you to take the train back from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen at the end of the day, which can be done through the less scenic, but much cheaper route through Zweilütschinen. Involving Grindelwald in your plans would allow you to explore both valleys in this beautiful Jungfrau area;
    • information and purchase options on the Swiss Half Fare Card can be found on the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

All further Jungfraujoch details can be found here.

Good luck on your further planning!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2010 at 12:00:19 #835223

Thank you Arno and Kim, I will take both your tips into consideration. I wasn’t planning to go to Grindewald, but making the trip to both Jungfrau and Grindewald looks like a good option. I’ve read also that the hike from KS to Wengen wasn’t too spectacular. The timetables and Jungfrau railways price list will be helpful. I didn’t realize Mannlichen had a website, but thank you for it.

Kauaisam

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2010 at 12:04:00 #835224

Kim, Thank you for the website on walkingstick, hadn’t come across that at all.
    Will we be needing walking or trekking poles for the trip to Jungfrau if we decide to walk down it?
    Kauaisam

[quote]kim11 said: I would encourage you not to worry about cost. The expensive part of the journey up to Jungfraujoch is from Eigergletscher station (the farthest up you can hike) to the top and back. Travel below that is much less expensive.

The transportation in the Jungfrau region is managed by the Jungfraubahn. You can research all the fares for mountain transports (trains, gondolas, cable cars, etc at http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-4//327_read-2542/.

You are wise to understand that weather is a consideration! You don’t say when you are going but you should always dress in layers, have a waterproof shell, and sunblock.

Specific answers to your query:

[1. Cable car Lauterbrunnen to Mannlichen, hike to Kleine Scheidegg, ride to Jungfraujoch, ride back to KS, hike down to Wengen, cable car to Lauterbrunnen?]

There is no cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Mannlichen. You must take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, then the gondola from the center of Wengen up to Mannlichen. Both are very lovely rides. The train is 15 – 20 minutes, the gondola 7 minutes.

The hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is stunning and a “must do” (by the way, walking is the only way you can get between these two points). It is about 2.8 miles on a very wide path with 50 meters/160 feet ascent and 200 meters /660 feet of gradual descent. A very easy hike but extremely panoramic.

From Kleine Scheidegg you could either take the train up to Jungfraujoch or hike up to Eigergletscher station and catch the Jungfraujoch train on its way up there. The hike up is short (less than a mile) but a little bit steep with 260 meters/858 feet of vertical ascent. It is a 10 minute train ride between Kleine Scheidegg and Eigergletscher station.

On your return, you could certainly hike down from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen. It is about 4 miles, 785 meters/2600 feet of descent, takes about 2 hours. You would then take the train (no cable car) from Wengen down to Lauterbrunnen.

[2. Cable car to Jungfraujoch, ride back to KS, hike down to Wengen, cable car to Lauterbrunnen?]

There is no cable car to Jungfaujoch, only train. You could go directly up from Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch by train. You will stop (but not change trains) in Wengen, stop and change trains in Kleine Scheidegg, then go straight up from there with a stop (no train change) at Eigergletscher station.

[3. Hiking from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, then to KS. roundtrip to Jungfraujoch, hike down from KS to Lauterbrunnen or hike down from KS to Wengen, cable car to Lauterbrunnen.]

Hiking from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg (via Wengen) is probably a bit more than you will want to do. The Wengen to KS portion alone is 4 miles with 785 meters/2600 feet of ascent. The hike from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is steep in places and is about the same amount of distance and climbing. That would be a long hike!

My recommendation would be to take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, the gondola from Wengen to Mannlichen, hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, take the train up to Jungfraujoch, return by train to Kleine Scheidegg, hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen, then take the train back down to Lauterbrunnen. This is the best from a difficulty and views standpoint.

There are very good descriptions of hikes in the area (including some of these) at http://www.walkingswitzerland.com[/quote%5D

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    3 August 2010 at 12:38:57 #835225

Again, you can’t walk down from Jungfraujoch. You can walk down from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen. You don’t need hiking poles for this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2010 at 7:34:57 #835226

Hi I would be taking this tour from Interlaken to Jungfrajoch on 13 of Nov, Please let me know what would be the fare for the good morning ticket for Jungfraujoch from Interlaken if we have a Siwss half rate pass.

Regards

rajarshi
    Kolkata, India

Arno
    15482 posts
    3 October 2010 at 8:21:10 #835227

Hi Rajarshi,

The Good Morning Ticket is not useful if you have a pass providing discounts. The pass offers more discounts than the Good Morning Ticket. Assuming that you mean the Swiss Half Fare Card, you would just purchase a regular ticket and pay half of the regular price (CHF 90.90 per person).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2012 at 2:40:45 #835228

Hello,
    I plan to visit Jungfraujoch in May and am thinking of taking the Wengen-Maanlichen-Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfraujoch route.
    Just wanted a better understanding of how the pricing, discounts, etc works out.
    Here is what I have understood:

I am staying in Lauterbrunnen and have a Swiss Pass using which I can travel to Wengen
    Wengen-Maanlichen return ticket – CHF21 (discounted for Swiss Pass/children 6-16)
    Walk to Kleine Scheidegg
    Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfraujoch – CHF 87 (discount of 25% on regular price of CHF116 for Swiss Pass)

The total journey works out to CHF108. Is this correct or am I missing something? My travel agent quoted CHF120 for the trip (not sure of his route though).

My 12-yr old son is travelling with us. Is he eligible for a 50% discount on the Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfraujoch section?

Thanks in advance!

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    18 March 2012 at 10:50:52 #835229

Hello aparnaj,

This certainly would be a very nice day trip.
    Please check this website to be sure the cable car from Wengen to Männlichen is in operation while you’re staying there!

Your 12-year old son will travel for free if you have a Swiss Pass and the (free) STS Family Card. For details, see the Swiss Pass page. If you don’t have the STS Family Card yet, I guess (but I’m not sure) you can get the STS Family Card In Switzerland showing your Swiss Pass at the (first) railway counter.

If the cable car from Wengen to Männlichen is open the costs of a return ticket will indeed be around CHF 21,- (using your Swiss Pass).

From Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch this page shows you the price for a regular return ticket, CHF 116,- , but the Swiss Pass will give you a 25 % discount.

Your itinerary includes the returnticket Wengen-Männlichen and the hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg and the other way round
    On your way back a (worthwhile) alternative would be to go by train from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen (and Lauterbrunnen), or to walk from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp (not too long and quite easy) and take the train from there to Wengen (and Lauterbrunnen).

The Timetable may be of help planning your trip.

I can’t do all the calculations, but I hope this helps!

Have a nice stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2012 at 14:02:18 #835230

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Checked the cable way website and they commence operations on May 17 so looks good. I was wondering what the weather may be like at those heights in May and whether my 12 yr old son can handle the hike? If the hike up is difficult perhaps I can plan the hike down from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp instead…

Best Regards,
    Aparna

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    19 March 2012 at 15:50:01 #835231

Hello aparnaj,

Weather in Switzerland is always an issue: one never knows. But on clear days you won’t believe your eyes. For weather forecast you can check SF1 meteo and/or Meteoschweiz while you are there or short before your leave. And of course there’s always the local tourist office. If weather conditions are good, the hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is a piece of cake; our children hiked with us when they were under ten years old. From Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp is not difficult at all too. So my guess would be that these hikes will be possible, this time of year.

Have a nice trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2012 at 6:37:58 #835232

Great, cant wait! Thanks very much to you and Wandermann for all the great advice! This forum is really very helpful for visitors to Switzerland 🙂
    Best regards,
    Aparna

• The thread ‘Being Cost effective to Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.