Day trip from Bergamo to Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2016 at 21:04:53 #808283

In March we are staying in Bergamo (Italy) One day I would like to travel on the Bernina Express. What is the easiest way to do this? Do I have to travel via Milan to Tirano or is there an intermediate stop where I can catch the train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 January 2016 at 10:36:51 #847755

Hi Janet –

Welcome to My SwissAlps.

This may help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Bernina_Express

I like to see my options on a map:

map.search.ch/?x=89240m&y=-80880m&z=1

Tirano looks like the closest connection.

3 and 1/2 hours by train from Bergamo via Monza.

There is also a poular bus from Lugano to Tirano. It looks like that would be a very long trip, passing through Monza anyway.

The time table may help you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2016 at 12:15:12 #847756

Thankyou very much for this information..it does seem that the journey in a day is a bit daunting!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 January 2016 at 15:28:14 #847757

<<“Thankyou very much for this information..it does seem that the journey in a day is a bit daunting!”>>

The section from Tirano to Pontresina is pretty nice. You could consider just doing that part, then retracing your steps. Still a long day.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Day trip from Bergamo to Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.