Swiss Travel Pass for Berner Oberland for 5 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2016 at 15:58:47 #808325

My family will be traveling to Switzerland in July for 5 days, mainly visiting the Berner Oberland and Gimmelwald. We’ll be flying into Basel, catch a train to Bern and spend half day there before going to Interlaken. We are family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids, ages 7 and 13 years old. I would like to know if you recommend the Swiss travel pass for the adults and just pay the high altitude lifts and trains once in Lauterbrunnen. Also, for the 2 kids, we can get the family pass for free for them with our Swiss travel pass, right? Lastly, do you recommend buying the pass ahead of time? what website? Thank you in advance.

Claire

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    25 January 2016 at 17:42:39 #847966

Welcome Claire, glad you’re joining us!

The Swiss Travel Pass is an option indeed. You can best get a 4 day variant and buy regular tickets for either your first or last day in Switzerland. You can indeed get a free Swiss Family Card for both children. Explanation and resellers are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. The easiest option is to buy in advance through http://www.swissrailways.com: you can get both the Swiss Travel Pass and the free Swiss Family Card as print as home tickets without any additional fees.

An alternative is the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, that allows for free traveling in this region, even as far as Bern. Many mountain trains and cable cars are fully covered too. This is a good option if you plan to focus on just this region and to make exensive use of mountain lifts. All details, including a validity overview and purchase options, are at the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland page.

I hope you’re able to choose. If not, please let us know.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2016 at 14:55:01 #847967

Annika,

Thank you for the quick response and suggestions. Yes, I will just buy individual tickets on our last day from Lauterbrunnen to Basel airport. I have one more question, how do I get the saver pass? I read it somewhere that if you’re traveling with at least 1 more person,it is 15% cheaper if you get the saver pass? Do they still offer that kind pass. Thanks again.

Claire

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 January 2016 at 15:21:39 #847968

Hi Claire,

The Saver pass was last offered in 2014 and does not exist anymore. The links Annika referred to provide the latest information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2016 at 14:46:47 #847969

Thank you for all the information, Annika.

Claire

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass for Berner Oberland for 5 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.