Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2012 at 5:16:36 #805573

Hello,
    Can anyone please help me as to where to buy cheap train ticket between Bern to Paris ticket for Oct 12 at around 7 to 7:40 am departure one way? I tried using the raileurope webstie but its quite expensive? I also tried http://www.sbb.ch website but prices are more expensive than the prices on the raileurope website. Are there any tricks that I miss in searching? I am also interested in this particular time Bern dep 7:29, Paris arr 12:18, I can’t check the price at sbb.ch. It tells me that the site is under maintenance and cannot book international route but when I tried other route from Bern to Paris, the prices are reflected. Please help

I’m also planning to get the Swiss half fare card. Do you guys think its worth it? This is my itinerary

Day 1 Arrive Bern from Milan in the afternoon — Bern
    Day 2 – Bern
    Dy 3 – day trip to Lucerne and back
    Day4 – Bern to Interlaken, climb Jungfaujoch
    Day5 – Interlaken to Bern, Bern to Paris

Can I use this for my Bern to Paris trip? Will I get discount? Should I purchase this early or can I purchase this at Bern railway station upon arrival?

I am so confused with all the offerings. Any form of help is much appreciated. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 August 2012 at 9:09:34 #837040

Hi hapilyn123,

With a trip to the “expensive” Jungfraujoch included, the Swiss Half Fare Card is worth the money. As for your trip to Paris: what’s your country of residence? I need that to look into resellers that are relevant to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2012 at 11:43:13 #837041

Thanks Arno! Country of residence is Philippines. I have one some more questions if you don’t mind. Can i get my Swiss half fare card at Bern station? Do i need to prebook train ticket from Bern to Lucerne and back as well as the route Interlaken West to Bern before hand or can I just get them on the day of departure? If I have the Swiss half fare card, are all the modes of transportation in Bern and Lucern half fare as well? Even the Bern transportation multi day pass? Appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 August 2012 at 13:38:13 #837042

Hi hapilyn123,

You can take a look at trainticket.com for the Bern to Paris tickets. There are prices from EUR 87. These tickets will probably sell out quickly. I’m not sure what it would cost through the SBB. The SBB will grant an extra discount for the Swiss portion of the trip if you select “Half fare travelcard” (which is the Swiss Half Fare Card). That does not necessarily make it cheaper than TrainTicket though. You can only see that when they’re out of maintenance.

Points of sale for the Swiss Half Fare Card can be found through the link I gave you. “Buy in Switzerland” includes Bern. Booking seats in Switzerland is usually not necessary. Here are the details. You’ll get discounted tickets on all transport in Bern. I’m not sure about the multi day pass specifically.

Hotels near the Bern rail station can be found here.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Bern to Paris and the swiss half fare card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.