Berner Oberlund and Swiss Transportation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2011 at 19:08:10 #804180

Help! The more I read about the different rail passes in Switzerland the more confused I get. I will be traveling to Switzerland with my husband in September and I am trying to decide what is the most economical rail pass to buy. Our itinerary is as follows:

Day 1: Land in Zurich and travel to Werner (home base).
    Days 2,3 and 4: Various hiking and sightseeing adventures hopefully taking us up to Jungfrau and Schilthorn.
    Day 5: Travel to Munich.
    Days 6, 7 sightsee in Munich area
    Day 8: return home.

I really appreciate any help anyone has. Feel free to comment on anything, but I really need help with the transportation. Have read many of Kim11’s posts and find them very helpful. I have planned my hikes around her suggestion for fairly easy half-day hikes. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    26 March 2011 at 5:54:33 #832379

Hello mmp1021! I see you’ve created a new topic, as Kim suggested. I understand your confusion, but I hope we’re able to help you out. I just answered some of your questions in the other topic, but I’ll paste and copy my answer here as well:

I think you’re best off with a Swiss Half Fare Card. Your stay in Switzerland is too short to really profit from other passes, such as the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland or the Jungfrau Railways pass. Both are valid for 7 or 6 days, and you’d have to be travelling very extensively to make this an economical solution. The Swiss Half Fare Card is relatively cheap and offers a 50% discount on almost all trips in Switzerland. The timetable helps you plan your trips, including the journey to Munich. The German part of your trip can best be covered by regular tickets. The Munich City Tour Card may come in handy as well. I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2011 at 15:38:57 #832380

Thank you so much. I want to be as prepared as I can so I can just enjoy the country when I get there

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    28 March 2011 at 17:38:52 #832381

Hi mmp1021,

Yes, Half Fare Card is your best bet.

For travel to Munich from Wengen we have found that the most economical approach is to book a ticket from Wengen to Lindau, which is the border station. The HFC will enable you to buy this ticket for half price.

For travel from Lindau to Munich, buy a Bavaria Ticket Partner Ticket. Read about the Bavaria Ticket and restrictions (such as no ICE/EC trains, no big deal) at http://www.bahnland-bayern.de/tickets/bayern-ticket

This gets the two of you (and up to 3 other adults if you pick up friends along the way!) from Lindau to Munich for only 29€. Once you arrive in Munich you can also use it for free travel the rest of the day, up to 3:00 am the next morning. Quite a deal. If you are sure of your travel day (Bavaria Tickets are non-refundable) I’d buy one on line at https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de. Be sure to select “local transport only” to enable the Bavaria Ticket choice to show up. Also be sure to enter 2 adults, if you leave it at 1 (the default) the partner version of the Bavaria Ticket doesn’t show up. Then, with Bavaria Ticket in hand, I believe the train staff at Wengen can arrange the whole route (Wengen to Munich) for you. If you don’t buy it on line you will need to get off the train in Lindau and buy it there.

Send me a PM if this is confusing. I have a 20+ page document of travel tips, excursions, restaurant recommendations, etc in Munich area based on my 15+ trips there. There is a whole section on train travel, including Bavaria ticket, but I can’t clip and paste that whole section here because the formatting gets screwed up.

• The thread ‘Berner Oberlund and Swiss Transportation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.