Bernese Oberland Itinerary Question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2014 at 17:05:58 #806640

Hello

We are travelling to the Berner Oberland in July 2015 and I have come up with the following draft itinerary:

(We are staying at the Sunstar in Wengen)

Day 1 Arrive in Zurich, take train to Wengen

Day 2 Lauterbrennen – see waterfalls, walk valley;

and 3 Brienz – take boat ride on Lake Brienz to Istewald

Brienz – take cogwheel train above Lake Brienz

Go To Schnigge Platte

Day 4 Take Hike from Murren, Go to Schilthorn

Day 5 Take Hike from Manlichhen to Kleine Scheidigg

Day 6 Go to Grindewald and First

Day 7 Possible Lucerne if time allows

Day 8 Depart

Please let me know if this is too much, too little etc – We basically just want to see the Berner Oberland area as much as possible. Also, sorry about any misspellings! Thanks,Jim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    14 September 2014 at 22:39:35 #841075

Hello Jim,

This looks like a good itinerary and not too rushed, except for Day 3. It’s a bit too much as these outings take some time. The train ride up the Rothorn takes an hour each direction. Boats run only about every 2 hours so you need to time all this carefully. If you get off at Iseltwald it will be at least an hour before the next one comes along. When the new boat and transport schedules for 2015 come out consult them to see if it’s possible to do all of these things in the same day.

For much more detailed information about the region please go to http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim. This link refers to three PDFs. Taken together they comprise a 45+ page document on the region that I have put together based on my 18 visits there. Thanks again to Arno for getting the document in a format that can be posted here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2014 at 9:02:36 #841076

You may want to be a bit flexible to allow for weather variations e.g. Lauterbrunnen valley and waterfalls would work on an overcast or wet day whereas you would probably want to avoid visiting Schilthorn on such a day. A day trip to Lucerne is definitely a practical option and I think you could probably go on a panotamic coach on the scenic Golden Pass route. Again, visiting Lucerne could be a trip to be taken on a day if the weather isn’t so good.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2014 at 22:56:10 #841077

You might want to include the Jungfraujoch. Most people consider it a must do. I’d also suggest taking a gondola from Wengen to Grindelwald on the dat you go to First. You can do this in either direction. There is a great book by Phillip and Loretta Alspach that outlines all the day trips in the area. I consider it the best reference and it is small enough to carry with you.

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland Itinerary Question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.