Bernese Oberland regional pass

• vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    13 March 2014 at 22:06:07 #806250

Whats the best place to buy the pass from?

do i have to wait to get to Switzerland to buy pass

Also what does the pass cover in Lucerne ?boat/ cable

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 March 2014 at 7:30:54 #839565

Hello vikicork,

The pass will soon be available online as well, probably within a week or two. Just keep an eye on this price page, as we will add that option as soon as it is available.

Lucerne is not in the Bernese Oberland, so coverage is limited. Only the two rail lines from Bern and Interlaken to Lucerne are covered. You can find a map of what’s covered here. There is a regional pass for Lucerne as well, but if you want to travel in multiple regions, a nation wide pass of the Swiss Travel System is usually the best choice. See here for how to make that decision.

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    14 March 2014 at 23:42:44 #839566

Thanks a lot ,this forum is the best for info .

Can you tell me if the Bernese Oberland 4 day regional pass or Swiss half fare card would be the best for me

I will be on a tour with excursions to Gornegat and Pilatus though im not sure if they will let me use a card for discounts on their excursions .

I then travel from Lucerne after tour to Lauterbrunnen for 2 nights

.I was planning to take train from Lucerne to Brienze and then boat to Interlaken on-route to Lauterbrunnen

Mountain cable car to Murren

Trip to Jungfrauch and on way down walk from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen and then cable to Wengen

Then travel back to Zurich airport via Lucerne and stay one night

and in Zurich take one round trip from airport hotel to city center

also My son will be turning 16 two months before our trip ,does family card cover him or will he have to travel as adult

Not sure if you can answer this but Thanks again for the info youve give me already

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    15 March 2014 at 0:10:06 #839567

Just thought of one thing

I think the half price card might save me some money but I believe I have to purchase tickets everytime I use it ,whereas for the BO pass I can just go and sit straight in the train ,cable car,boat and show my pass when asked for it .Is that right ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 March 2014 at 8:50:37 #839568

Hi vikicork,

I am glad to hear you find our website useful. I would say that the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland fits your needs. Indeed you mostly do not have to buy tickets: only for some excursions such as the Jungfraujoch, whereas with the Swiss Half Fare Card you always need to get tickets before each trip. Also it covers most of what you have planned, and it allows free unplanned trips if you would feel like it once you’re there.

Your son counts as an adult here, as he’s 16 when you start traveling. Airport hotels are listed here.

Kind regards,

Arno

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    15 March 2014 at 13:22:44 #839569

Do inernational non military travellers have to carry their passport with them at all times with the B.O. Pass or would say a drivers license suffice .I would be just leery of carrying my passport with me with the fear of losing it and prefer to leave in hotel room safe .

is the ballenberg open air museum included in the B.O . Pass .? Though i orobably wont be able to go there .

And this might be it for a while

thank you so much for all your help

Annika
    7124 posts
    15 March 2014 at 18:33:24 #839570

Hi vikicork,

You need to carry your passport. I don’t believe there’s an alternative, but you could check at a local rail station to be sure.

You will get a 25% discount on Ballenberg Open Air Museum tickets with the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. With a Swiss Pass, the museum is free.

I’m glad we could help you. If you have time, a trip report would be most welcome!

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    17 March 2014 at 14:56:29 #839571

So with the helpful tips i have recieved i have decided on this itenerary .

Your opinion would be valued on this .

Mid July after tour is over in Lucerne

day 1 — reach Lauterbrunnen by 10 am ,will not travel on golden pass train as i would have already travelled on Glacier and Bernina express .take gondola to Grutschalp and hike to Murren .either come back via Gimmelwald and Stechelberg or return from Murren back the same way

day 2 — Buy Jungfrauch excursion and via Wengen go to Mannlichen via cable ,hike to Kleine Scheidegg and up to Jungfrauch .return say way via Wengen though i would have liked to see Grindelwald .

day 3 — perhaps a short hike in Lauterbrunnen and then travel to Zurich either straight via Berne or Brienz if i take a boat ride from Interlaken ,stay the night before flying back home .

I am primarily doing this after a long tour as my son wants to hike and i cant think of anywhere better to hike than the Swiss alps .i ill be staying 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen though. i looked at Wengen as well .I will take the half fare swiss card which i think i might be able to use on my tour as well in places like St Moritz,Zermatt ,Lucerne and Zurich .

if i had an extra night in Lauterbrunnen then i could have done Grindelwald/ First and perhaps Thun .and the B.O. Pass would have been better .

Thoughts ? ,Suggestions?where do i get Jungfrauch excursion ticket from ?the Lauterbrunnen railway station ?.i might have to travel there on first or third day if weather dosent permit on the second day .

Cant wait till July .Planning is almost as much fun as the trip .

Annika
    7124 posts
    18 March 2014 at 7:10:07 #839572

Hi vikicork,

You should definitely include the Golden Pass route. It’s the shortest and most scenic way from Lucerne to Interlaken. No seat reservations required. You can do it on the way back as well, starting in Brienz.

I would suggest to travel via Grindelwald on your way back from the Jungfraujoch. You will see more of the area that way. Just buy a ticket for the route you intend to do that day. You can buy your tickets at Lauterbrunnen rail station.

Have a wonderful time!

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    18 March 2014 at 11:59:44 #839573

Ok thanks

Sorry I meant the panoramic train on the Golden pass route ,i was planning to take a regular train on the same route over the Brunig pass.

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    18 March 2014 at 12:03:41 #839574

And i will definitely post an in depth trip report on my return

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 March 2014 at 12:43:43 #839575

Many thanks in advance, enjoy the Swiss Alps!

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 April 2014 at 11:26:56 #839576

Hello,

It took longer than expected, but the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is now available online through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/regionalbe rneseoberlandpass. This option has also been added to the price overview here.

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland regional pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.