Bernese Oberland trip help

• vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    16 May 2015 at 14:54:58 #807234

I will be in Interlaken -Grindelwald area for 3 and half days in the second week of June and will have the Bernese Oberland 4 day pass (from this website link) ,after that will spend two nights in Zurich before flying out .

plan to do the following for sure

Gondola to Mannlichen from Grindelwald with hike to Kleine Scheidegg ,train to Jungfraouch ,hike from First to Bachalpsee and back ,bus to Grosse Scheidegg and hike to First,First flyer ,Harder Kulm ,Boat cruise from Brienz to Interlaken .,Aare Gorge .,

Stayed last year in Wengen area and saw Murren ,Wengen ,Lauterbrunnen so wont go back there this time though might still walk to Staubbach fall in Lauterbrunnen if time

Questions

1) Im not sure if I can fit Brienzer Rothorn or Reichenbach falls in my schedule .One way I can do the Brienzer Rothorn is to straight from Zurich airport via Sorenberg cable and train from Rothorn to Brienz and boat to Interlaken ,Ive already checked the route and all this is feasible with luggage but is the Rothorn well worth the travel with luggage .It would be very difficult to do if I dont do it on my first day from airport even if I combine it with Aare gorge in Meiringen simply because it would use up most of the day and take away from my time in Grindelwald .

2) I hope all the high hikes will be open .will I need hiking boots? .will be leaving for Europe 10 days before reaching Switzerland and dont want to lug around hiking boots around Europe

3) are the Trotti bikes from Bort to Grindelwald easy to do if one knows how to cycle or it different from cycling

4) since we already did the Mannlichen -Kleine Scheidegg hike last year in late July ,should we instead consider Eigergletscher –Alpiglen hike enroute to or after visiting Jungfraouch .Im kind of leaning to do the Mannlichen hike again as it was so easy and spectacular and it might be different in mid June .(unless its closed)

5) how does Rosenlaui gorge compare to Aare gorge (if i am not able to make it to Aare gorge)

6) is Thun worth a brief stop on the way back to Zurich via Berne .

Thanks for all your help

will post a trip report for sure of our entire Switzerland trip .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 May 2015 at 16:44:40 #843131

<<“Gondola to Mannlichen from Grindelwald”>>
    Not sure that it is a gondola. Maybe small cabins – 4 people….

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 May 2015 at 8:29:56 #843132

Hi vikicork!

Great that you’re returning to the Jungfrau region! And we’d love a trip report once you’re back. Let’s take a look at your questions:

1. I wouldn’t make the trip on your arrival day with luggage. You could have your luggage sent forward to Grindelwald so that you don’t have to carry it along, but that’s a paid service. If you want to get up to the Brienzer Rothorn (which is well worth it on clear days), you can best do it as a separate day trip from Grindelwald, combined with the Reichenbach Falls, the Aare Gorge and maybe the boat trip over Lake Brienz.

2. I’m not sure if all routes will by open by that time. In early June some can still be closed if there’s too much snow. You can best check by asking the local tourist agencies. You need good solid shoes at the least, especially if you consider the trail from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen. To be honest, I would prefer hiking boots in that case. And if weather conditions are not ideal, you’ll even want them on the easier routes like Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg. By the way, you could rent boots in one of the sports shops in Grindelwald.

3. The Trotti bike route isn’t difficult; it can be done by kids and seniors too. It does requires some attention though, because obviously you shouldn’t descend recklessly at high speed. Trotti bikes aren’t regular bikes, but a kind of steps.

4. The trail Eigergletscher-Alpiglen is more difficult than Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg. Nothing wrong with doing the same hike twice if you liked it! Alpiglen-Grindelwald could be another alternative, if you don’t mind a long descent. You’ll be hiking along the foot of the Eiger North Face for a while and descend towards Grindelwald over an easy path.

5. Personally, ​I like the Aare Gorge it bit better, but if you don’t make it there, the Rosenlaui Gorge is beautiful too.

6. Yes, Thun is a very nice town and worth a short stroll if you have time for it.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 May 2015 at 13:31:45 #843133

<<” If you want to get up to the Brienzer Rothorn (which is well worth it on clear days), you can best do it as aseparate day trip from Grindelwald, combined with the Reichenbach Falls,the Aare Gorge and maybe the boat trip over Lake Brienz.”>>

As I recall, there is not much “station” building for the Brienzer Rothorn Bahn. I’m pretty sure that they don’t have any place for left luggage. I like the steam locomotives.

I suspect that it is a bit early for the trail from Brienzer Rothorn to Schoenbüel to be open….that stretch near the Eissee is in the shade much of the time, and even wit the cable to hold on to , it can be slippery. It also needs boots, and has a couple of ups and downs at 2200 meters that can make you pant a bit, but it is a nice walk. Also, I don’t know if the lifts down to Lungern are open then; I’d have to check the timetable.

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    17 May 2015 at 22:39:52 #843134

Thanks Guys. Excellent suggestions .

im still tinkering with my itenerary .

the desire is to want to do and see everything but to stil not make it exhausting .

looking foward to it .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2015 at 0:41:45 #843135

Trotti bikes aren’t really ‘bikes’ at all. There are no pedals and you do not sit on anything. They are really just gravity powered scooters with hand operated brakes. Still great fun though, and you enjoy great scenery on your descent.

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland trip help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.