Bernese Oberland, which pass to choose

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2010 at 2:32:44 #803769

Hi again,

The quick and clear response to my earlier question (thank you so much!) makes me feel free to pose a new question.

I’ll be in Interlaken during three weeks next September. To reduce prices of travelling two passes seem a possibility: the Swiss Pass and the Regional Pass Berner Oberland. I don’t know yet which excursions I would like to make, but it will be day trips.

Can you help me choose a pass, or am I overlooking other possibilities?

Thanks, Krister.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    8 April 2010 at 10:23:03 #831084

Hello Krister,

Which pass is most suitable for your holidays, depends on several factors. If you intend to travel almost every day and if you would like to make some longer journeys outside of the Bernese Oberland, a Swiss Pass may be a good choice. Another advantage of the Swiss Pass is that you don’t have to buy regular train tickets for each journey. You can simply board almost any train, bus or boat.

If, on the other hand, your trips will mostly take place within the Bernese Oberland, the Regional-Pass may be the best option. The Regional-Pass comes in handy if you want to concentrate on exploring mountain railways and viewing points in this area.

Which pass is best, ultimately depends on your plans. You may try to make a list of your plans and follow our tips to calculate the most economical option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2010 at 6:41:03 #831085

Hi,

This was helpful. In the meantime we figured out we mainly want to visit the highlights in the region south of Interlaken (Jungfrau region). So we’ll choose the Regional Pass of the Bernese Oberland.
    It seems in this case we can travel rather far into other cantons as well. Can we benefit from this pass e.g. for a day trip to Lucerne, Montreux or Zermatt?

Thanks in advance

Krister

Arno
    15482 posts
    10 April 2010 at 7:23:48 #831086

Hi Krister,

Yes, assuming you will use a free travel day for these longer journeys, you would get these discounts:

• Interlaken – Brünig-Hasliberg: free, Brünig-Hasliberg – Lucerne: 50% discounted
    • Interlaken – Gstaad: free, Gstaad – Montreux: 50% discounted
    • Interlaken – Goppenstein: free, Goppenstein – Brig: 50% discounted, Brig – Zermatt: no discount (you’ll pay a slightly different amount if you pick the quicker route through the basis tunnel)

The map we link to on the Regional Pass page shows all discounts in detail.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2010 at 11:07:50 #831087

Hi again,

Thank you so much. If I have other questions, I now know where to find the answers!

Bye

Krister

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland, which pass to choose’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.