Bernese rail pass availibility

• al_w
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 December 2016 at 15:14:01 #810438

Can you tell me when the 2017 Bernese Oberland rail pass will become available to purchase ?….thanks, Al

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 December 2016 at 16:13:34 #857391

Hi Al,

The websites selling it are listed here. You can already buy a pass for 2017 through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/ regionalbernese oberlandpass.

al_w
    Participant
    8 posts
    12 December 2016 at 20:11:50 #857392

Thank you Arno….one more question. Is it possible to purchase the Bernese Oberland pass upon arrival at either the rail office in Zurich airport or at the rail office of our destination in the Bernese Oberland (Wengen) ? That is instead of purchase in advance……… thanks again, Al

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 December 2016 at 9:30:29 #857393

Hi Al,

Sure, please see the first link in my previous post for where to buy local or online. You can at least buy it in Bern or Lucerne, and probably in Zurich but I am not 100% sure about that. Having it in hand is more convenient though. Buying at the airport takes time (5 to 30 minutes, hard to say in advance) so you may miss the first available train, and buying along the way also means getting off the train and waiting for the next one onward. You can for sure buy it in Wengen too, but in that case you won’t be able to use the pass for your incoming trip.

al_w
    Participant
    8 posts
    13 December 2016 at 11:06:59 #857394

Thank you Arno………. this answers perfectly how I will proceed. Sorry I did miss the third option on the link in your first post……..but now I see. This is a very helpful list …so thank you again. Since I am staying in the Berner Oberland for 11 days I will be traveling from the Zurich airport to Wengen on either a transfer card or just an individual ticket….because I will use all 10 days on the rail pass while I’m in Oberland. So buying the pass in Wengen on my first day is no problem. Thanks again, Al

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 December 2016 at 12:22:56 #857395

You’re welcome Al! In that case a Swiss Transfer Ticket gets you from the airport to Wengen and back for less money than a regular ticket. You can print it at home through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) within 1-3 days. It’s ready to use, so you can board the first available train immediately without delays.

• The thread ‘Bernese rail pass availibility’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.