Bernina and Glacier Express directions

• Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    25 March 2016 at 1:01:54 #808712

Thank you for posting the 30% discount offer for the Swiss Travel Pass. I successfully purchased 8 day passes for myself and my family. We will be arriving in Zurich at 3:00 pm on June 11 and departing from Zurich on June 19th. We had originally planned to go to St.Moritz on the 11th, take the Bernina Express to Lugano on the 14th, travel to Zermatt on the 16th, take the Glacier Express to Chur then the train from Chur to Zurich on the 18th. After carefully reviewing the timetable, I’m wondering if we will make more sense and save some travel time to go first to Lugano on the 11th and take the Bernina Express from Lugano to St. Moritz. Is there a difference in experiencing the Bernina Express in the south to north direction and The Glacier Express from St. Moritz to Zermatt instead of Zermatt to Chur? Please review my revised itinerary and let me know if it makes sense. Thank you for your expert advice.

June 11 – 17:17 train from Zurich Airport arriving in Lugano at 20:23

June 12 – Explore Lake Como area

June 13 – Bernina Express from Lugano to St. Moritz (bus and train)

June 14 and 15 – St. Moritz and surroundings

June 16 – Glacier Express from St. Moritz to Zermatt

June 17 – Zermatt and Gornergrat

June 18 – Hike near Zermatt in the morning and take the 16:13 train to Zurich.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    25 March 2016 at 12:38:07 #849807

Hi Travelbug53!

Good to hear you’ve arranged for your discounted Swiss Travel Pass. Sure, your revised itinerary is fine too. To me, the Glacier Express and Bernina Express directions really don’t matter. You’ll get to enjoy the exact same scenery along the way.

Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    27 March 2016 at 0:36:07 #849808

Thank you for your prompt reply. We’re planning to stay in Pontresina. Will the train stop so we can disembark in Pontresina?

Annika
    7104 posts
    27 March 2016 at 7:53:07 #849809

Hi Travelbug53,

Yes, all trains will stop in Pontresina. You can check either the regular timetable or the Bernina Express timetable for such details.

• The thread ‘Bernina and Glacier Express directions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.