Bernina Express trip from Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2016 at 3:18:57 #809910

Have been wanting to do the most scenic rail route ( as per what i read in other forums ) of switzerland ‘the bernina express’ please give your inputs on how to do it given my base station would be luzerne. Me and my husband with two year old kid are travelling. Value your recommendations , TIA !!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 August 2016 at 9:55:41 #855206

Hi Nidhi12, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Would you want to do this as a day trip from Lucerne, returning to your accommodation the same afternoon or evening? In that case it’s quite a challenge, as just a single trip Lucerne-Tirano over the Bernina Express route takes nearly 7 hours. So only if you leave very early and don’t mind returning late, this is doable. You’d better plan an overnight stay along the route, e.g. in or near St. Moritz or Tirano. In that case you could even make a scenic round trip, returning via Locarno, Flüelen and Göschenen using the Wilhelm Tell Express-route.

Please use the pages below to find details on all options:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2016 at 7:23:54 #855207

Thanks Annika for your reply.

great help, i will change my itinerary a bit now.

cheers!!

nidhi

• The thread ‘Bernina Express trip from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.