Bernina Express schedule in December 2016

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2016 at 4:37:31 #810296

I’m having trouble finding the train schedule to go from Tirano, Italy to St. Moritz, Switzerland on December 15th or 16th, 2016. Can you help me find that information?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 October 2016 at 6:51:14 #856826

Hi lealkelly,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! There is only one Bernina Express per day, at 3 PM. If it fits your plans it’s fine, but any train will do as they are all on the same tracks. You can find all of them in the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2016 at 19:07:11 #856827

I went to the timetable and entered the date and cities and the Bernina Express does not come up as an option. It has R, NFB, and bus. I can’t figure out what those mean?

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 November 2016 at 10:45:27 #856828

Hi lealkelly,

As there is only one Bernina Express you have to click the “Later” link until the connection with the “BEX” is displayed. That connection indeed also includes an “NFB” (a bus) as the Bernina Express is bound for Chur, so you need to get off in Pontresina and take a short bus ride to St. Moritz. Or wait for the next train to St. Moritz if you don’t mind waiting longer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2016 at 14:54:01 #856829

Thank You, this helped alot!! I have figured out that I can’t type in Tirano to St Moritz in the timetable since the BEX does not go directly to St Moritz on my dates. So I’m typing in Tirano to Pontresina and the BEX 954 comes up. When I click on Fare/Buy, my date is not available yet. Do they only sell tickets 30 days out? Do you recommend that I wait and buy the bus ticket from Pontresina to St Moritz when we arrive, or online before we go?

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 November 2016 at 16:21:53 #856830

Hi lealkelly,

Glad to hear that! They indeed only sell tickets 30 days out. But before you consider tickets be sure to consider passes too by listing all your trips in Switzerland (trains, buses, cableways, etc) and compare the options. With a pass you may not need a ticket at all, or only a discounted ticket. Please see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2016 at 2:51:07 #856831

We are not traveling any other places in Switzerland, so I don’t think the passes would be cheaper. We are staying in Lake Como and just wanting to do this one roundtrip from Tirano to St Moritz.

I just read the following info on your Bernina Express page regarding winter travel: “But there’s something extra too: the regular trains from St. Moritz to Tirano all have a Bernina Express panoramic car attached. You can sit there after paying a supplement, and enjoy the superb Winter scenery in a very comfortable manner.” Now I’m even more unsure about which ticket(s) I should purchase now or just wait and purchase at the train station when we get there.

Here are our exact plans. We are staying in Lake Como Dec. 14th, 15th, 16th. We want to ride the Bernina Express roundtrip between Tirano and St Moritz on the 15th or 16th. I would love to wait and see which day has better weather, but I’m afraid to wait if the Bernina Express sells out ahead of time. If we have to do the 3:00 train out of Tirano, we don’t mind staying the night in St Moritz on the 15th and then coming back to Tirano on the 16th.

Can you tell me exactly which ticket(s) I need to buy now?

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 November 2016 at 12:44:12 #856832

Hi again,

Not to worry, I’ll explain: indeed you don’t need a pass if this is your only trip. You just need a return ticket from Tirano to St. Moritz. There is only one type of ticket.

Now, if you would take the official Bernina Express you would need to pay a supplement on top of that. But I would strongly recommend not to take that train. It’s too late in the day, so you won’t have time in St. Moritz and the return trip will be in the dark. Just take any of the regular trains in the morning and enjoy some time in St. Moritz. If you would like the reserved seat you pay an addtional CHF 5 on top of the ticket. The link under “More on other websites” on our Bernina Express page explains all about that.

When you buy is up to you. The tickets will not sell out. The seat reservations for the panoramic car may sell out though, so that could be a reason to buy in advance. The other cars are comfortable as well.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express schedule in December 2016’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.