Bernina Express stop in Pontresina

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2016 at 21:37:26 #809677

I would like to take the Bernina Express train from Chur, with our final destination being Lake Como. I would like to stop along the way and visit Engadine Valley. Is that possible using Bernina Express train? Does the Bernina Express train make a stop in Pontresina? Can I get off in Pontresina and get back on the Bernina Express train the next day to finish the route to Tirano? Please give me some suggestions. Thanks so much!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 July 2016 at 1:53:33 #854174

Hi SF traveler.

Nice to see you on My Swiss Alps. Welcome.

The information that you need is available by studying 3 links. You may not need them all, but between them you’ll learn a lot. If that does not work, let us know.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.search.ch/?pos=765984,189440&z=8

Slowpoke

Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    15 July 2016 at 4:48:27 #854175

Hi SF Traveler,

We were in Switzerland last month and took the Bernina Express from Pontresina to Tirano. We also travelled from Zurich to Pontresina via Chur on the regular train and stayed in Pontresina for 4 nights. I don’t think you can break journey overnight on the Bernina Express. I would suggest that you take the regular train from Chur to Pontresina. You see the same spectacular scenery, and can take better pictures because windows can be opened on the regular train. Then you can take the Bernina Express the following day from Pontresina to.Tirano. We took the regular train back from Tirano to Pontresina because we wanted to stop at Ospizio Bernina and hike to Alp Grum. We really enjoyed our stay in Pontresina. The Engadine is breathtaking. You will have a memorable time.

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 July 2016 at 6:08:06 #854176

Hi SFtraveler,

You can break your trip but you would need seat reservations for each day. So technically you don’t “break your trip”, you just make two trips. As Travelbug53 suggests, you might as well take the regular trains which do not require seat reservations. If you do want a ride on the actual Bernina Express, I would pick Chur to Pontresina as that’s a direct train. The regular trains require you to change in Samedan (which is not difficult by the way). Then take a regular train from Pontresina to Tirano, which is a direct train just like the Bernina Express on that leg.

Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    15 July 2016 at 6:36:03 #854177

You’re absolutely right Arno. I forgot about the change in Samedan, although, as you note, it was an easy transfer. There really wasn’t much of a difference between the regular train on the Tirano-Pontresina route compared to the official Bernina Express that we took from Pontresina to Tirano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2016 at 16:45:37 #854178

Thank you!!

• The thread ‘Bernina Express stop in Pontresina’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.