Best 4 day itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2012 at 2:24:26 #804962

Hi Everyone,
    I’m planning our trip to Switzerland this August 2012 from the 19th till the 24th. We’ll be flying from Copenhagen. I need help building our itinerary. I read bits and peaces about Swiss attractions whenever I have the chance. But I’m overwhelmed with the beauty of Switzerland to offer I don’t know where to start. I ordered a guide book but before I can finish it I have to do my reservations already (fare is going up).

Which Airport to enter? I’m thinking of Zurich. I found out air to Geneva is cheaper but looking at the map I think it’s wiser to fly to Zurich. What do you think? What type of clothing should we bring? What Rail Pass to get? Too bad we can’t get the discounted pass it’s August. Mind you we are on a tight budget. We can’t afford expensive hotels. Please.. please.. help us plan our trip. Where to start (day 1 till we go home), timing, where to stay (home base).

We love the outdoors I would like to hike but my girlfriend is not built for that (I’ll start training her and maybe do light hikes). I was even thinking of mountain biking too. We want to see the Alps, Falls, Lakes, the City and Villages together with the cows moooo!!!!! Hmm.. I hope we could afford it. Roughly do you have any idea how much it will cost? Not including the Airfare.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions.. Make this trip fun and memorable..

We are Asians living in U.S.

Thanks!
    Franz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2012 at 14:29:28 #835007

Based on multiple trips to Switzerland, the following is a very strong recommendation. First, I would fly into Zurich. At that point I would purchase two roundtrip SwissRail tickets from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen which will take you through Lucerne and Interlaken. Go to any website and locate your best choice for a hotel in Lauterbrunnen-we prefer the Silberhorn, but there are less expensive. This will put you in the most beautiful glacial valley complete with waterfalls and at the foot of the Eiger, Jungfrau and Monch peaks. You then have the choice of how much hiking and non-cost activity you wish or, being selective, you can take rail/cable connections to sites like Mannlichen, the Schilthorn or even the Jungfrauhoch ( the last is expensive). You can find more complete info on these and other options by looking under any of the websites related to the Bernese Oberland. While Lauterbrunn is your most value oriented hotel option, you could check out either Wengen or Muerren (we like the Bellevue) which are both accessible by cablecar/rail. These are on either side of the valley and at much higher elevation. Regardless, you will have a wonderful experience! Bob

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2012 at 16:38:33 #835008

Bob,
    Thanks! I will definetly look into it. Let me familiarize myself first. Study the maps etc. got my book today. I’ll start looking at the attractions and hotels. I want to reach Jungfrau also. The SwissRail is Swiss Pass? Where you can hop on and off trains buses and boat for a limited time? In having difficulty typing on my mobile phone. I’ll get back for more questions this weekend on my PC. I can easily access websites and see everything at the same time.

Thanks again!

Franz

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 March 2012 at 3:09:50 #835009

Hi Franz,

In addition to the excellent tips provided by Bob, I would like to recommend to review the Swiss Half Fare Card. It provides a 50% discount on all of your trips. If you want to know about the Swiss Pass, please read the Swiss Pass page for all details, including a downloadable map of the network being covered.

Good hotel options, including airport hotels, can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2012 at 4:26:57 #835010

You guys are very helpful and lots of information can be found here. I already have some questions but I’ll try to find the answers myself first. I come home late and tired. I’ll do my assignment this weekends.
    Thanks!

• The thread ‘Best 4 day itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.