Best 6 days itinerary for honeymoon in December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2016 at 14:23:03 #809648

Hi everyone,

My name is Shane and I’m from Singapore. I’ll be visiting Switzerland on the 27DEC2016 for my honeymoon. I would be in Switzerland for 6 days

I’m confused on where show i stay how can i go about it.

i will arrived on Zurich airport on 27dec2016 @ around 8pm, so i will stay near Zurich airport for the night.

28Dec- I would like to visit the Swiss Alps.

Currently, I’ve researched that trains in Swiss are the best way to travel. I’ve booked a hotel near Grindelwald train station for 3 nights but after reading this forum, i’m having second thoughts of whether did i booked the correct area to start of my journey. I would also like to try one of the scenic trains but found out that the journey takes too long.

1. Are there plenty to see in Grindelwald? my future wife is crazy about the snow mountains in Switzerland. Did i booked the correct area to stay?

2. I read about interlakken. Is it better to stay there?

3. Lucerne, would it be better to plan it in the beginning or end of the trip?

4. I’m not sure if I’m right but i thought of traveling this way by train,

Zurich- Grindelwald- interlakken- Lucerne- Zurich (For flight to Paris)

5. Is the swiss travel pass worth it for my journey?

The Grindelwald hotel which i’ve booked is flexible can be cancelled.

6. Last thing i would like to ask if during my stay would it be snowing?

Thank you very much for any valuable advises.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 July 2016 at 0:36:58 #853987

Hi Mickeyshane.

Not a bad plan.

I promise that it will snow while you are there…somewhere in Switzeralnd. 😉

Might be way up in the alps beyond any trails, but by then ,there will be snow good for skiing at somewhere at or above 2000 meters.

Regarding where it is “better” to stay – take a look at these links:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken.

and, when-

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

.Learn to use the timetable…it will help your planning:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and this map:

map.search.ch/?pos=651328,164544&z=8

Have a great trip!

Bring warm clothing.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 July 2016 at 8:13:22 #853988

Hi Shane,

Thanks for posting here! As Slowpoke said, it will be snowing somewhere. Just don’t expect snow in town. It is very well possible but not a guarantee.

I would advise against flying to Paris. The train is quicker, easier, more enjoyable and eco-friendlier. You can take a train from Lucerne to Basel and switch to the train to Paris there. That’s the direct route. No need to go through Zurich. Here’s more information: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/france.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2016 at 10:07:56 #853989

Hi slowpoke and Arno,

Thank you for your valuable advises.

Great to hear that I’m on the right track in planning.

Some questions.

1. Does Hiking around/Up the mountains requires any transport or any professional tours or can i just get there on my own? Lets say, the 3 towns which I’m planning to go, Grindelwald, Interlakken and Lucerne.

2. I’ll be staying in Grindelwald for 3 nights, is it advisable to stay in Interlaken?Or is it okay if i stay in Grindelwald and take a train to Interlakken and to have sufficient time to come back Grindelwald on the same day?

3. I thought of purchasing the Swiss travel pass, does it covers most public transport? ETC trains, buses, trams, cable cars? And how does this pass works? Example: from Zurich airport i would like to take a train to grindelwald? I just hop on the train with my swiss travel pass or should i change for tickets or make any reservations?

Thank you very much.

Shane

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 July 2016 at 10:23:14 #853990

Hi Shane,

1. It’s all possible, but if you don’t have any prior experience in the mountains, these are the two safest options:

• Take trains/cable cars to enjoy the views up in the mountains.
    • Check with the local tourist agency for easy winter hiking trails. You can do these on your own.

2. Chances of (substantial) snow in Interlaken are close to zero, and Grindelwald is a more romantic place to stay. Also it’s in the mountains, and Interlaken isn’t. Unless you have something specific to see or do in Interlaken, I would skip it entirely. Please see Slowpoke’s link about Interlaken.

3. Please study this page: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass. It explains everything you need to know (how to use, where to buy, a video, a map, etc). Please feel free to post back here if any questions remain.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 July 2016 at 13:38:57 #853991

Hi Mickey sahne.

Please use the timetable to understand the timing and frequency from Interlaken (Ost) to Grindelwald.

I linked to it and a map above.

For item #3 – You understand the procedure correctly. With the STP all you do is get on the train and show the pass when asked. From Grindelwald onward by cograil or cableways, you will have to get a ticket, which will be discounted. Same beyond Wengen.

Please see the information that Arno provided.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2016 at 13:43:20 #853992

Yes Thanks both,

I’m glad tat i’ve joined this forum! got so many information from you guys.

Cant wait to get there in December after my wedding!! My wife would be surprised on much i know traveling around the alps.

Thank you guys you really made a difference to my honeymoon!

Shane

• The thread ‘Best 6 days itinerary for honeymoon in December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.