Best drives for my Switzerland Italy mid June trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 14:12:16 #812220

In the following map the dots represent our stops (all hotels are already booked and no option to add extra days on the way).

I tried to choose interesting roads between them.

I would like your assistance in confirming or improving the drives, regarding the SCENERY, taking in mind that each drive has to be done in ONE DAY, and that we would like to avoid problems such as blocked roads, roads that need winter tires / chains, and roads over 2500m :

drive.google.com/open?id=1rPE5jdBMl-cCdwsWyiPpQYwkaTY&usp= sharing

Drive A (Map show – letter i) to B :

Milan – Stresa (visiting Lago Maggiore) – Domodossola (1 night in Domodossola)

Drive B to C – Domodossola – Simplon Pass – Grimsel pass – (might add a short drive to Furka pass and back) – Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen (4 nights in Lauterbrunnen)

Drive C to D

two options:

1. Lauterbrunnen – lucerne – highway 3 – visit HeidiLand – Chur – Films (visit Caumasee)

2. Lauterbrunnen – road 6 to Innertkirchen – road 11 to Andermatt – road 19 to Films

(1 night in Films)

Drive D to E

Films – Park Ela – visit Engadin – Bernina pass – Tirano (1 night at Tirano)

Drive E to F

Tirano – via SS42 to Lago Iseo – Lago Garda (visit Sirmione) – Venice (2 nights in Venice)

Drive F to G

Venice – Bologna (1 night in Bologna)

Drive G to H

options:

Bologna – via SCG Firence Pisa Livorno – La Spezia

Bologna – A11 – E76 – La Spezia

(2 nights visiting Cinque Terre)

Drive H to A (i)

La Spezia – Parma – Milan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 11:57:10 #864937

Hi trikolad,

unfortunately, I don’t have much driving experience in Switzerland so I can’t comment on the most scenic drives to use; perhaps another member can comment on this.

There is an excellent website for the mountain passes called Alpenpässe here. All passes are open, with only 2 having any restrictions (at the moment). You can click on each pass name to read more about the pass (altitude, map of the route, etc.)

It looks like you are choosing between 2 options for section C to D. I think both are quite scenic and you would enjoy either. If you choose option 2 (via Andermatt) you will be driving over the SustenPass which is open and at 2200 meters. The only pass over 2500 meters in Switzerland is the Umbrail Pass (2501 meters) and is not on your route you shared.

For a list of mountain highways in Switzerland by altitude click here.

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 June 2017 at 10:11:27 #864938

Hi Trikolad,

All the roads should be open mid June (they currently are); apart from occasional closures due to bad weather – this can happen all year round.

From C to D option 2 will be better scenery wise.

D to E can be done via Preda too. This is a more difficult road but great scenery. Your option is wonderful too though.

Be sure to read this especially if you don’t have driving experience in the mountains:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 5:29:36 #864939

Thank you for the helpful advice! read the mountain and driving info

about the Lauterbrunnen to Films drive.. (C to D)

Where are the best places to stop for rest and view on the way?

(in option 1 the plan was lucerne and heidiland but option 2 I don’t know the places on road 19)

Same question for D to E ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 10:55:22 #864940

I haven’t driven those roads so I don’t know about rest stops/viewing areas.

There is Disentis and the Disentis 3000 cable ways (http://en.disentis-sedrun.ch/mountain-railways/disentis-3000-cableways.html) for section C to D, and St. Moritz is a lovely town to visit for a few hours on section D to E.

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 June 2017 at 18:11:37 #864941

For C to D I’d take your time and stop on various places on the pass roads to admire the view. You can’t do so while driving so plenty of short stops are worth it. The lake on the Oberalppass makes a nice stop too. Also you’ll be passing the Aare gorge and Reichenbach Fall just after Meiringen.

In St. Moritz you can walk round the lake. Or you can pay a visit to Mount Corvatsch. The Morteratsch glacier walk is very nice. A bit further on you can take the cableway to Diavolezza. Plenty of options!

• The thread ‘Best drives for my Switzerland Italy mid June trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.