Best fondue in Lucerne, Wengen and Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2020 at 21:50:27 #825377

Hello, I’m off to Switzerland on Monday and I’m finally ready to turn my attentions to finding the best value fondue for one! Any recommendations for restaurants in either Lucerne, Wengen and surrounds or Zermatt? What should I expect to pay? Also, am I right in thinking that Aldi and Lidl are the best value for groceries?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 March 2020 at 2:15:49 #930983

COOP and Migros are the best value for groceries. Fondue? Sorry can’t help you there.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    1 March 2020 at 4:18:19 #930984

The Restaurant Fritschi in old town Luzern serves up an excellent cheese fondue, the basic version priced at about 27CHF if I remember correctly. It will easily serve one, plus tastes for others.

We didn’t buy a lot of groceries during our two week trip because we stayed in hotels, but what we did buy we bought at COOP. I thought they had decent prices and good selection.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2020 at 9:20:26 #930985

Hello Susie new,

How wonderful you will be coming to Switzerland on Monday.

There are many restaurants near the Chapel bridge in Lucerne that have cheese fondue. The prices are usually around 28 – 30 something francs per person. In Wengen and Zermatt there are a few restaurants that have cheese fondue as well. Take a look at the menus that are sometimes posted outside of the restaurant. The prices don’t vary too much in that range that I listed. Look for fondue that has bread and potatoes for dipping in the fondue. The potato cubes adds variety and it’s so delicious. Makes sure you drink hot tea along with your meal because the cheese can be quite heavy. I have included a search box link for cheese fondue:

Aldi and Lidl are great value for groceries in Switzerland however they are sometimes in locations that aren’t easily accessible in comparison to Coop and Migros. The great thing is if you go to Coop and Migros in the tourist cities, the prices are the all same throughout Switzerland. Just don’t go to the “Kiosk” to buy drinks, etc. The prices there are usually 3 x’s more. Here is a link about the food and grocery stores in Switzerland for your reference:

I hope that helps. Safe travels!

Suzanne

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 March 2020 at 6:46:58 #930986

Hello Susie,

I tend to agree with Suzanne that Aldi and Lidl are great value for groceries in Switzerland. They are the (relatively) new kids on the block and so are not as easy to find in many places where Migros and COOP are well implanted. It all depends on where you are, though. As an example, there are two brand new Aldi and Lidl stores on the SW end of Morat (Murten) where for years Migros and COOP had, shall I say, less than wonderful locations and store sizes. So now Migros has just completed a covered parking area for their location on Bernstrasse, and there is a huge brand new and impressive COOP at NE end of Morat (Löwenburg). So for Morat, I would say the score here is COOP 1 – Migros 0, with perhaps a .5 for each of Aldi and Lidl.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2020 at 12:46:03 #930987

Best and most fun fondue in Lucerne is STADTKELLER. They do a whole show. Not to miss.

• The thread ‘Best fondue in Lucerne, Wengen and Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.