Best Option for Multiple Travelers at Various Time

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2012 at 14:43:07 #805031

I’m new to the forum and find this site extremely helpful. I have a question about a trip I’m planning for May 2012. I will be in Locarno for 1 month and plan to see as much of Switzerland as possible while there. I’d also like to make a few short trips to Milan and Venice. Three family members will visit me from the USA at different times for approximately 1 week each. I’m having difficulty deciding what type pass to purchase for my personal travel while also being considerate of those who plan to visit me. Can you give me some guidance?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    18 March 2012 at 4:33:21 #835189

Hi Kate, and welcome! It’s hard to say which pass is best for you and your visitors, as this can only be told for sure if you have a detailed list of travel plans and make calculations based on them. These general guidelines in our FAQ may help you out to start off with.

Although I don’t know which trips you have in mind, my first idea is that a Swiss Flexi Pass could be a good option for you. It allows a number of free travel days and a 50% discount on other days, with a maximum validity of 1 month. If you use it wisely, you use free travel days for the longest and most expensive trips you want to make, and discounted days for your shorter regional trips. If the idea of free traveling and not having to buy additional tickets at all appeals to you, you should consider the 1 month Swiss Pass.

As for your guests: I think you should decide which pass is best for them in each individual case. Do you plan to travel intensively with your guest? Then consider a 4 or 8 day Swiss Pass or a Swiss Flexi Pass. Do you plan on making short regional trips mainly? Consider a Swiss Half Fare Card in that case. Does your guest have to make a long and expensive inbound and outbound trip from an airport or border station to Locarno? Take a look at the Swiss Card then.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2012 at 7:59:08 #835190

Thank you for this information. Yes, each of us will travel from Zurich to Locarno which means 2 of our free days would most likely be used traveling to and from Locarno if we purchased the Flexi Pass.

• The thread ‘Best Option for Multiple Travelers at Various Time’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.