Best pass for family of 5 visiting BO via Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2014 at 13:08:03 #806383

Hi,

We need help deciding on best travel pass please.

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children under 12yrs old) flying into and out of Switzerland at Basel in August.

We want to travel into the BO region and have accommodation booked in Murren for 5 consecutive nights, and on the 6th day we need to travel back to Basel to catch our flight home.

We want to go to the Jungfrau (top of Europe) and travel within the BO Region (Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken, Wengen etc. interested in walks, cable car rides, scenic day excursions, visiting the lakes for boat ride, children’s playgrounds, etc).

Which is the best pass for us? How do we get from Basel to Murren and back again, and will that be included in our pass or a separate fare? Are all three children free with 2 paying adults, or just two children free and third child 50% off?

We have looked at the swiss travel system website and are undecided between the BO Regional Pass (50 % off Jungfrau trip but Basel is not in region) and Swiss Pass (only 25% off Jungfrau trip but trips to and from Basel included). Which of these two is best for us, or is there another better option?

Thank you very much!

Shagufta

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    24 May 2014 at 14:01:22 #840031

Hi Shagufta,

My preference would be the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. You’re going to use many cable cars and other mountain transport. Most of it is included in the pass, so you’ll save more on that than the costs of the additional tickets to Basel. You need two passes for the adults, and Junior travelcards for the children that are 6 or older. All pass details can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland

The pass is valid from Bern, so all you additionally need is tickets from the Basel EuroAirport to Bern for the adults.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2014 at 10:04:29 #840032

Thanks for your answer.

The “what to do” page of your site is not displaying properly for me…any advice?

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 May 2014 at 10:43:24 #840033

Hi Shagufta,

Thank you for the screenshot, and sorry for the trouble. I just tried in Safari (on Windows) as well but it displays fine in my case. Does the hotel page display fine for you? Do other What to do”-pages work, like the one for Valais? Which version of Safari do you use? I have 5.1.7 which is the latest I think.

You can try to refresh the page (F5 on Windows) or force refresh (F5 on Windows, CMD + R on MAC I believe).

• The thread ‘Best pass for family of 5 visiting BO via Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.