Best pass for Bern and Grindelwald?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2016 at 6:59:09 #809765

Hey guys! I’m going to Bern for a couple of days and then I’ll be staying in lütschental for another couple of days. In Bern, I won’t be moving around much, but I’ll still need a pass for there are a few places I’d want to visit (in Bern), and in Lütschental, I’ll be starting hikes in Grindelwald, so I’ll be needing to get to Grindelwald and back and take some cable cars up the mountains for 2 days.

That is it, SO! Which travel pass suits me best, or would I be better off using just the point to point tickets.

I know I have been a bit vague about my plan in Bern but I honestly haven’t really planned anything there yet.

Let me know your thoughts.

And thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    27 July 2016 at 17:11:26 #854608

Hi Wassim,

Your hotel in Bern will get you a ticket for free public transport within town: myswissalps.com/ bern/hotels. As for the rest of your stay I would think one of these passes make sense:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2016 at 6:11:04 #854609

Thanks as always Arno!

Just a couple more questions: what is the fastest way to get to jungfraujoch from grindelwald and how long would it take? Also, what is the difficulty of the walk to the top if I got as close as possible to it?

Arno
    15478 posts
    29 July 2016 at 7:00:17 #854610

Hi Wassim,

Unless you are a mountaineer, the only way to reach Jungfraujoch is by the cogwheel train. It takes about 90 minutes to get there. You can’t walk part of the way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2016 at 7:34:43 #854611

Being the legendary mountaineer that I am, I’ll aim to take the train from grindelwald to kleine scheidegg and from their to jungfraujoch.

However, I’ve read that the temperature could reach 0°c in August, and I’ve already packed thermal under-armour and pullovers but I’m guessing that won’t be enough; so is there a place where I could rent some gear? Like a jacket or water proof boots for example?

And I know you’ve gotten tiered of my questions Arno 😛 but what would the average price for the trip from grindelwald to jungfraujoch and back, be like? (Not exactly but just to get a general idea of the budget required)

Arno
    15478 posts
    29 July 2016 at 12:36:30 #854612

Good decision 🙂 You don’t need very special clothing for a regular visit, unless you plan to do snow park activities. Water proof hiking boots are recommended, and multiple thinner layers of clothing will work well. Take gloves and a hat, if you like. Do not forget sun glasses. Our Jungfraujoch page explains about this as well. You can ask any sports shop in Grindelwald what kind of rental clothing they offer, but you won’t need it for a regular visit.

You’ll find ticket prices through the link in the Tickets section of our Jungfraujoch page. For your route, a regular return ticket, so without a discount, is CHF 184.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2016 at 17:56:02 #854613

I’ll be leaving bern tomorrow for bernese oberland and I’ve planned a few good walks/visits thanks to you. You’ve really helped me out here Arno. Ich danke dir sehr!

Arno
    15478 posts
    30 July 2016 at 4:58:34 #854614

You’re very welcome. Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Best pass for Bern and Grindelwald?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.