Best pass for our family?

Best pass for our family?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Ozfamily
Ozfamily
2 posts
Nov 28, 2014 - 2:35 AM

Hello

We are an Australian family of 2 adults, 2 over 60's and 3 children aged 5,7 and 10 travelling for the first time in Switzerland in Jan 2015. After spending hours trying to work out the best rail options I have admitted defeat and am begging for help. We are travelling from Paris to Lauterbrunnen where we are staying for 7 nights. We would like to visit Murren, Wengen, Grindlewald and possibly a trip to Jungfrau while we are there. Finally we are departing Lauterbrunnen for Venice.

If anyone can assist with the best pass combinations so that I can finally start booking some tickets I would be very grateful.

Arno
Arno
7292 posts
expert &
Nov 28, 2014 - 7:07 AM

Hello Ozfamily,

Indeed, it can be challenge to select a rail pass. You're not alone! This page explains all the details of how to select. In your case a Swiss Half Fare Card looks like the cheapest option. It allows you to buy 50% discounted tickets for trips in Switzerland. See here for details and prices. If you prefer free unlimited traveling without the need to buy tickets for each trip, the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be worth looking into. In both cases the children travel along for free as you can order along a free Swiss Family Card.

You also need point to point tickets for Paris - Basel and Domodossola - Venice for you inbound and outbound transfer. Basel to Lauterbrunnen and Lauterbrunnen to Domodossola is covered by either of the passes I mentioned above.

You can get the pass and the tickets from a single website, www.raileurope.com.au, and get a discount on the whole order (see this thread). For other points of sale, please see the Price section of our pass pages.

Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 12:58 PM by Arno
Ozfamily
Ozfamily
2 posts
Nov 29, 2014 - 6:53 AM in reply to Arno

Thank you for your prompt reply. You have given me a great start.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016