Best pass for our family?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 November 2014 at 2:35:54 #806736

Hello

We are an Australian family of 2 adults, 2 over 60’s and 3 children aged 5,7 and 10 travelling for the first time in Switzerland in Jan 2015. After spending hours trying to work out the best rail options I have admitted defeat and am begging for help. We are travelling from Paris to Lauterbrunnen where we are staying for 7 nights. We would like to visit Murren, Wengen, Grindlewald and possibly a trip to Jungfrau while we are there. Finally we are departing Lauterbrunnen for Venice.

If anyone can assist with the best pass combinations so that I can finally start booking some tickets I would be very grateful.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 November 2014 at 7:07:13 #841351

Hello Ozfamily,

Indeed, it can be challenge to select a rail pass. You’re not alone! This page explains all the details of how to select. In your case a Swiss Half Fare Card looks like the cheapest option. It allows you to buy 50% discounted tickets for trips in Switzerland. See here for details and prices. If you prefer free unlimited traveling without the need to buy tickets for each trip, the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be worth looking into. In both cases the children travel along for free as you can order along a free Swiss Family Card.

You also need point to point tickets for Paris – Basel and Domodossola – Venice for you inbound and outbound transfer. Basel to Lauterbrunnen and Lauterbrunnen to Domodossola is covered by either of the passes I mentioned above.

You can get the pass and the tickets from a single website, http://www.raileurope.com.au, and get a discount on the whole order (see this thread). For other points of sale, please see the Price section of our pass pages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2014 at 6:53:25 #841352

Thank you for your prompt reply. You have given me a great start.

• The thread ‘Best pass for our family?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.