Best places to visit in Lucerne over 4 days?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 13:29:29 #812972

Hi,

We are 2 adults & 2 kids (6 & 2) travelling from UK, and this is our travel and accommodation plan so far,

Day 1- Arrive Zurich late night, Stay overnight in Zurich

Day 2- Zurich to Lucerne (Stay at Lucerne Hotel)

Day 3- Lucerne (Stay at Lucerne Hotel)

Day 4- Lucerne(Stay at Lucerne Hotel)

Day 5- Lucerne(Stay at Lucerne Hotel)

Day 6 – Lucerne to Zurich (Stay at Zurich Hotel)

Day 7 – Catch early morning flight back to UK

I wanted to cover all the sights and scenes while we are in Switzerland. I am so confused now as to what to do: –

Mt Rigi – Can I cover this in 1 day or 1/2 day from Lucerne.

Mt Pilatus – Same as above, also is Rigi / Pilatus / Titlis all similar in terms of sightseeing.

Golden Pass route – Can i cover this in 1 day back and forth from Lucerne?

Lucerne boat lake trip – Is this just a few hours excursion

What else can do in Zurich on either Day 2 or Day 7, I was thinking Rhine Falls, but wife will be happy to do lots of shopping 🙂

Also is there anything for Kids as this is mostly sight-seeing plan, so they may get bored and tired.

Have I missed anything that can be easily covered from Lucerne (or must do )

Sorry for too many questions, am i being too ambitious to cover all of this. I didn’t want to be too greedy and cover Jungfrau too as I have read it so many other posts that it is not advisable with kids from Lucerne.

I was initially planning to get the Tel-Summer pass to cover lot of attractions in Lucerne but then now changed my mind to the Swiss Travel Pass. Is this sensible thing to do as I am hoping that all of the above will be covered with Swiss Travel Pass?

Thanks and Sorry for too many questions

Srini

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 17:34:09 #868385

Hi Srini,

• Mt. Rigi, Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis usually can be covered in a 1/2 day from Luzern yes.
    • The Golden Pass question was answered on your other post I believe.
    • Yes, It can be one hour or 1/2 a day depending on how far you go. Check out more about the lake Lucerne boat cruise here (including a link to the schedule).
    • Zurich has lots of shopping opportunities for sure. The RheinFall is also an easy day trip from Zurich. for other ideas on what to do in Zurich click here.
    • The mountains around Luzern (noted on first bullet point) all have kid-friendly activities – be sure to check out our web page and their official web page for more details
    • I think you may be better off with the Tell Pass-Summer. To be sure compare what they each cover: Tell Pass validity / Swiss Travel Pass validity.

Lucas

beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    16 August 2017 at 22:32:15 #868386

Hi. I think 1 mountain excursion is enough. It took us 5 hours to come back from mount Titlis.

Shopping is v v expensive there. I would rather prefer to go to harrods store than to go to high street of switzerland.

Lucerne cruise has even 45 min cruise too. It can take you total 2 or 2.5 hrs hours for a round trip too which i think is enough.

Lucerne lake looks beautiful at night. Walk along the bridge! Explore the town..its beautiful. Go to confiretti shop in front of the lake with lots of chocolates n truffles. Go to a fresh juice bar in front of the lake too.

Golden pass route is v hectic if wanna go back to luzern same day. 10 hours in train n u would hardly stop at one station maximum . U would worry more abt catching next train than to explore. Its not a fun for children. If u havent reserved a seat u would have to stand. I would say stay in montreux overnight.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 8:13:16 #868387

Thanks Lucas, let me look at the websites you have shared. But I thought STP might be better if I need to travel from Zurich –><— Lucerne, Dont think Tel-Pass covers the whole journey, only until Zug? and all other attractions are free on both the passes?

Hi beenaeem, I am thinking hard whether to go or not on the Golder Pass route now , I can’t stay in Montreaux as I have pre-booked accommodation in Lucerne for all days. So I skip Jungfra and Golden Pass route, I am thinking what will I do during my 4 days stay in Lucerne, what would your suggestions be for my 4 day stay in Lucerne?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 8:56:21 #868388

The ticket from Zurich to Lucerne is pretty cheap so it may not be worth buying the Swiss Travel Pass just to cover that route. Make sure you plan out your trips and see how many are outside the coverage of the Tell Pass – if more than a couple are (or they are long, more expensive trips) then you may be best to buy the Swiss Travel Pass.

If you need more help, visit our web page on how to choose the best rail pass.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 13:21:08 #868389

We are visiting Lucerne for 4 nights, three days from 21st August to 25h August and our itinenray includes the following:

1.Three mountains – Rigi, Pilatus and Titlis, one on each day in the morning or afternoon depending on weather conditions. Morning leave at 8 am and return around 1 Pm for luch at Lucerne.

2. In the second half plan to visit (i)Fluelen (part of Gotthard Scenic Train by boat taking 2.30 hrs and return to Lucerne by train (45 minutes) (ii) Stanserhorn and (iii) Brienzer Rothorn. We are keeping the Transport Museum and Glass Factory as the back ups in case of rainy weather.

All the above are completely covered by Tell Pass (3 days at CHF 210 per person).

We must have a meal at Stadkeller, the swiss folklore restaurant and visit the Culture and convention centre, Lucerne (KKL) for the best music program.

There will be other local tourism points of interest and an evening boat ride on lake Lucerne.

Hope and pray that the lords of weather bless us with good weather as there is mixed weather forecast.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 15:21:36 #868390

Thanks SnigdhaAvi

Hope you have a wonderful trip and yes i have seen the weather forecast and it does look a bit mixed for Lucerne for those dates. I am also praying for the weather gods not to interfere 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 15:09:50 #868391

hi, I have been back from my Swizterland hols last week and I thought I will update this forum.

So as planned, we arrived in Zurich and stayed over in a hotel for one night.

The next day, we left for Luzerne, and as I was still confused up until the last moment and had planned some extra activities in Zurich, I tool the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass instead of the Tell-Pass.

During our stay in Luzerne (which lasted 4 full days), we covered part of Glacier express from Chur to Andermatt (i even managed to reserve seats on the same day of travel), took boat trip back to Fluelen to Luzerne (it was simply amazing).

The next day we covered Mt, Titlis as wife had it as a must do (but because I had STP, i paid 92CHF extra to get there, but it was well worth it). We had 2 small kids in tow, so we couldnt cover a lot in the evening, went around Luzerne town for a stroll for some local shopping and food.

We also went to Pilatus (again, this was an awesome experience, up the cogwheel train and then down by cable car and Gondola), we even tried the giant slide at Frakmuntegg. In the afternoon, we visited Bern for a few hours, although I must say the big Bern clock was a bit disappointing, as nothing played at the 4pm bell.

On the last day we went back to Zurich and proceeded to Rhine Falls after checking the bags in the hotel. We went on a boat ride close to the falls, came back to Zurich Hb for some more food and local shopping (mainly choclates) and then left the beautiful country the next day early morning flight to UK.

While I had to pay with STP for my visit to Mt.Titlis and one way journey from Zurich to Lucerne, I also benefitted from going on Glacier Express, return ticket from Luzerne to Zurich, trip to Rhine Falls and also visit to Bern (all of this Tell-Pass won’t cover fully). so all in all, a very satisfying trip and loads of pictures taken for long lasting memories. Kids were fine, they were a credit in this trip. me and wife were tired by the end of the day but we still managed to leave hotel 8:00am every day to enjoy sights and scenes.

Weather was very kind during our trip (apart from Day 2 where we had thunderstorms, but we didnt travel anywhere that day anyway).

Thanks for the helpful tips in this forum. I look forward to visiting Switzerland again, but my next trip is to Majorca in Oct.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 15:45:41 #868392

Thanks for the trip report Srini1981!

Looks like you had a great trip.

Can I ask you to start a thread in the Trip Report forum? You can just copy and paste this post there.

If you have the time it would be much appreciated!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Best places to visit in Lucerne over 4 days?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.