Best rail pass for week in Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2012 at 8:39:26 #805368

My main question is whether the Swiss Pass will cover transport in the Jungfrau region, which is the main area we are going to be in. It seems like yes to trains, but no to cable cars or the Top of Europe route? Is that correct? And these cable cars are expensive, correct?

Here is our general plan. We are a family of 3 (2 adults, 1 child age 8)

June 29–arrive Geneva airport, stay in hotel nearby

June 30–travel from Geneva to Wengen

June 30-July 7 Stay in apartment in Wengen, do day trips generally around Jungfrau area, maybe a day in Bern if we have bad weather

July 7–travel from Wengen to Florence

It seems that the Jungfrau Railways Pass 6 day pass might be a good option. It’s 220 chf per adult. I think it covers all trains, buses, cable cars and gives 50% off the top of europe/junfraujoch train. But doesn’t cover Murren to Schilthorn? Does anything?

Should we also get a Swiss 3 day flexpass to get from Geneva to Wengen, and then Wengen to Florence (or Milan, I guess the Milan to Florence wouldn’t be covered!) and a have a 3rd day if we need it?

OR should we get a Transfer pass? Can we use one if we enter at one border (Geneva airport) and leave at another (train to Milan)?

Finally, seems like we would want some type of Swiss pass so we can get the family pass so our daughter is free on everything, right? does that work if we only get the transfer pass and the Jungfrau Railways pass?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    14 June 2012 at 12:33:48 #836430

Suggest you simply get Half Fare Cards (one for each adult) and get 50% off of everything — trains, busses, boats, gondolas, lifts. It usually works out to be the most cost-effective and there are no mental gymnastics surrounding area/days of validity, percentage fare reduction, etc. You can buy them at the train station at Geneva airport. Request the free Family Card when you buy them and your child will travel with a parent for free.

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 June 2012 at 9:04:08 #836431

Hello cjcorrie, and welcome to the forum! I think the Swiss Card is the cheapest option for your itinerary. It works pretty much the same as the Swiss Half Fare Card Kim mentions, but also provides free inbound and outbound trips. In your case, this means that the trips Geneva Airport – Wengen and Wengen – Swiss/Italian border (depending on your connection most probably Domodossola) are for free; remaining trips are discounted by 50%. You have to purchase an additional ticket regular ticket for the Italian leg of your trip to Florence. Information, including a downloadable map and an overview of purchase options, can be found at the Swiss Card page.

And yes, a 3 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass is an option too, especially if you want to make some longer day trips from Wengen. However, it offers a 25% discount on traveling between Wengen, Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch, whereas the Swiss Card gives a 50% discount.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2012 at 13:33:45 #836432

Hi Annika,

Thanks for all the information. I went with the Flexipass and I think we might get the Jungfrau pass as well, when we decide what cable cars etc we want to do. So many options!

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for week in Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.