Best route from Basel to begin Bernina Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2016 at 21:29:08 #809199

My husband and I are on holiday from New Zealand leaving Basel tomorrow in order to go on the Bernina Rail trip. We have a rental car which means we could start from anywhere but after reading many on-line reports we think a good option is to begin that train journey in Chur and do the round trip to Tirano. Would you agree? We have about 3 days before we head to Italy. My second question is what route would you suggest we take to drive from Basel to Chur so that we see the best of Switzerland. And lastly we want to go on a fine day and will wait a day or two if necessary. What weather forecast should we be checking for that? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 May 2016 at 7:10:22 #852028

Hi Susan, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Bernina Express starts in Chur, so indeed that’s the town to go to. Once you’ve reached Tirano you can go back via Pontresina – Zuoz – Sagliains – Klosters to prevent backtracking all of the route. Afterwards you can take the A13 highway towards Bellinzona and Italy.

I assume you’ll have a day to reach Chur from Basel. Zurich, Lucerne (Luzern) and Zug are all worth a stop. I’d suggest to pick one of them to explore a bit. Zug is the smallest so it will also be the easiest one to reach and navigate with a car. You can walk along the lake promenade and explore the small historical town center. The weather forecast can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2016 at 14:19:14 #852029

Thank you for your timely advice Arno and Annika. Much appreciated. Can’t wait!

• The thread ‘Best route from Basel to begin Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.