Best route from Wengen to Grindelwald

• SR1000
    Participant
    49 posts
    10 February 2016 at 6:44:23 #808399

Which is the best route from Wengen to Grindelwald? I see two options:

1. Wengen to Männlichen LWM to Männlichen GGM to Grindelwald GGM to Grindelwald Grund to Grindelwald
    2. Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg to Gridelwald

Any advantage of one over other (scenery, time, free tickets with travel pass)?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    10 February 2016 at 16:21:21 #848334

Hi SR1000!

Actually, there are three options. For discount percentages, I’ll assume you’re most interested in the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex mentioned in your previous post:

1. by train via Lauterbrunnen and Zweilütschinen. This is the valley route. It’s entirely covered on a free travel day, but less scenic than the other two. I’d recommend this if weather and views aren’t good;

2. via Männlichen. Cable cars from Wengen and to Grindelwald are discounted by 50% during free travel days. The views up there are absolutely beautiful;

3. via Kleine Scheidegg by cog train, discounted by 25% on free travel days. This is a very scenic ride, and the views from Kleine Scheidegg are special as you’re literally at the foot of the famous Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau trio.

SR1000
    Participant
    49 posts
    10 February 2016 at 18:22:50 #848335

Thanks Annika. I guess we can take one route while going and another while coning back. We will be visiting Kleine Scheidegg on other two days too.

SR1000
    Participant
    49 posts
    11 February 2016 at 7:07:53 #848336

Hi Annika,

When you say this:

>> by train via Lauterbrunnen and Zweilütschinen. This is the valley route. It’s entirely covered on a free travel day, but less scenic than the other two. I’d recommend this if weather and views aren’t good;

Does that mean it is free entirely up to First or only up to Grindelwald?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2016 at 10:00:12 #848337

When you only vised Berner Oberland, you can better buy a Regional pass Berner Oberland: http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and

On free travel days of this pass, the cable car Grindelwald<>First is also free.

Also the line Wengen<>Kleine Scheidegg<>Grindelwald, the line Wengen<>cablecar Mannlichen<>cablecar Grindelwald Grund<>Grindelwald and the line Wengen<>train Zweilutschinen<>Grindelwald

Greetings from the Netherlands, Brahms

SR1000
    Participant
    49 posts
    11 February 2016 at 10:10:47 #848338

Thanks Brahms. As being discussed on another thread, do you also consume a travel day on Swiss Travel Pass Flex with using this BO pass (with 25% discount due to Flex pass)?

Annika
    7103 posts
    11 February 2016 at 10:39:43 #848339

Hi SR1000!

As for your question about First: did you check the validity map at the Swiss Travel Pass Flex page? That will help you to find out which legs are covered on free travel days, and which are discounted. As you’ll see, First isn’t for free.

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex and Regional-Pass issue will be addressed in your other topic.

• The thread ‘Best route from Wengen to Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.