Scenic train Geneva to Luzern & what to do there

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 14:01:01 #812895

Hi, I am travelling from London and land in Geneva (9.30am) for 2 days during last week of September with a one night stay in Lucerne. For the best scenic route experience would it be the Golden pass from Montreux to Lucerne which I intend doing on the day of arrival. For the second day (when I have to get back to Geneva airport by 7.30pm) what would be the quickest route to head back from Lucerne (would it be via Bern)? Is there anything else I could accommodate during my second day like a boat journey in Lucerne or any other train journey? I will be buying the Swiss pass for 3 days (although would avail only for the 2 days) so would like to see as much as possible.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 14:49:00 #868103

Hi GB123 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, I think the Golden Pass route between Montreux and Luzern is a great option for a scenic train trip.

To return you can find the fastest option on the Swiss railways timetable here (it always gives you the fastest option by default). The direct trains take 2 hours and 48 minutes.

You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here, and have it emailed to you so you can print at home (so you can just hop on a train or bus as soon as you land).

I would probably spend the morning and afternoon of your second day exploring Luzern and yes, taking a boat cruise on the lake.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2017 at 15:01:20 #868104

Many thanks for your useful info.

• The thread ‘Scenic train Geneva to Luzern & what to do there’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.