Best seats on glacier express and bernina express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2015 at 22:54:40 #807152

Can you please advise if there are some 1st class seat positions that are better than others on the Glacier and Bernina express panoramic trains. For example left hand side or specific seat numbers.

many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    30 April 2015 at 17:04:27 #842796

Hi Davidjm2389,

The Glacier Express changes direction two times (Brig and Chur). Assuming a train from Zermatt to St. Moritz, I would prefer a seat on the left, as it’s slightly better for the Rhine gorge section and the Landwasser viaduct. In the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano, I would prefer a seat on the right; again to see the Landwasser viaduct, and for the better view on the lake on the Bernina Pass.

Detailed route information is available here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2015 at 2:15:06 #842797

Hi Annika,

Your reply to David is very helpful.

We will take the Bernina Express (BE) from Chur to Tirano as the Swiss travel pass should cover the whole trip. We will arrive Tirano at 12:45 p.m. The return trip of the BE will be at 3 p.m. Will the Swiss travel pass cover the local train from Tirano to St. Moritz if we wish to take an earlier schedule? If not covered, which train station of the BE that should we get off and ride the local train back to St. Moritz. I have tried the SBB website but did not know which St Moritz station that I should enter. Pls. advise.

Thanks

JP

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 May 2015 at 6:36:15 #842798

Hi JP,

The Swiss Travel Pass covers all trains on the routes included on the map. The rail station of St. Moritz (there is only one) is simply called ‘St. Moritz’. So that’s all you need to enter in the timetable.

• The thread ‘Best seats on glacier express and bernina express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.