Best starting point for Bernina train ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2015 at 18:51:18 #806859

I am trying to work my way through the copius amounts of info on various sites, on the Bernina train, and just wanted some input from anyone who has done that trip. We will already have driven to our place in northern Italy and cant decide if driving back to Milan or Varenna is better for the start of the trip. Does anyone know what the parking is like at both ? Is it close to the station ? Is the route Varenna to Tirano, change trains then Tirano to Chur, then change onto the Bernina line ? Then the reverse coming back the following day ? or can we do this with less trains ? The more I look into it the more confusing it seems ! Thinking of doing this in mid May or poss September. Thanks for any help !

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 February 2015 at 18:41:57 #841689

Hi suegerr,

Where in Italy are you based? Are you looking for a day trip or can you stay the night somewhere? If you can, Lugano (Switzerland) is a good starting point for the following route:

• Bernina Express bus from Lugano to Tirano
    • Bernina Express train from Tirano to Chur
    • Stay the night in Chur
    • Train to Andermatt (part of the Glacier Express route)
    • Train from Andermatt to Göschenen, then change for Lugano.

All Bernina Express information can be found here: myswissalps.com/berninaexpress.

Do not drive into Milan, unless you’re really familiar in town. It’s very hectic, not a good experience at all. You can drive to Varenna, and I think there’s parking at the station, but probably not a lot of places. And it’s not a good base for the round trip suggested above because it takes a long time to get back there.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2015 at 22:25:51 #841690

Thanks so much for replying Arno. We are on Lake Iseo, so about 45/50 mins from Bergamo. Lugano is about 100 miles and Varenna about 90 from us so much the same distance. We would have an overnight stop somewhere and your info is really helpful, anything else you can think of would be really welcome !

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 February 2015 at 7:20:50 #841691

You’re welcome! The suggested round trip allows you to see a lot more than just the Bernina line. If that’s what you want, Lugano is a good place to start as that’s where the direct bus to Tirano departs (10:00 AM). It’s a 2.5 hour drive from Lake Iseo, but be sure to take enough time in order to not miss the bus, as you have to book seats for it. The Bernina Express train needs to be booked in advance as well. The link I gave you explains it all. The rest of the trip does not need to be booked in advance, unless you prefer to take the Glacier Express from Chur to Andermatt. There are regular trains on the same line too; you’re more flexible that way. Regarding parking, please look here and here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2015 at 22:05:37 #841692

Thanks Arno, really helpful again ! Now to the planning !

• The thread ‘Best starting point for Bernina train ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.