Best Swiss Pass to buy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2014 at 6:02:51 #806598

Hi! I’m traveling to wonderful Switzerland from 31 Aug to 10 Sept 2014 and I need some expert on which train swiss pass to get suitable for my trip.

Here’s my itinerary:

Zurich Airport –> Lucern –> Interlaken –> Wengen –> Jungfraujoch –> (Maybe around the small towns in Jungfrau region) –> Bern –> Montreux –> Zurich

Thanks so much and hope to hear from someone soon! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 August 2014 at 8:03:00 #840896

Hi totalneo,

I would recommend to look into the Swiss Flexi Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card. The links will give you all information about them, and if you want a detailed comparison, please see here.

Note that you pay less for your pass if you buy online and use the promotion discount that is valid until August 27, see here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2014 at 13:24:07 #840897

Hi Arno, Thanks for the reply. One question though: why not consider buying the Swiss Pass? but rather the flex or half price ones you were talking about.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 August 2014 at 14:26:40 #840898

Hi totalneo,

Sure you can consider the Swiss Pass too. From the itinerary you provided, I assumed that you will have longer trips on a few days and short ones on other days, hence the Flexi Pass/Half Fare Card should work out best. But you know the details of your plans, so daily free traveling may be better for you. Please see here for all the pass information: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisspass. You can include the Swiss Pass in the detailed comparison and you will soon see which one works out cheapest in your case. The Swiss Pass is the most convenient one for sure, as you don’t have to buy tickets for most trips and can just board trains, boats, etc. as you like.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2014 at 14:34:30 #840899

Hi Arno, thanks for the comment. I was just considering that because the Swiss Flexi pass seems to cost more than a swiss pass. (6 days flex vs a 8 day swiss pass).. But yeah, I will go check out the links to see which one might suit me the most, was just hoping there was a sure-fire answer to my itinerary.

Here’s a more detailed itinerary:

Zurich Airport –> Lucern (31 Aug)

Lucern –> Interlaken (2 Aug)

Interlaken –> Wengen (4 Aug)

• Wengen –> Jungfraujoch –> Wengen (5 Aug)
    • Wengen –> around the small towns in Jungfrau region (4-5 Aug)

Wengen –> Bern (6 Aug)

Bern –> Montreux (7 Aug)

Montreux –> Gruyeres –> Montreux (8 Aug)

Montreux –> Zurich (9 Aug)

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 August 2014 at 15:51:45 #840900

Hi totalneo,

Your itinerary shows that you will only make a short trip on your first day. A Swiss Flexi Pass makes less sense as it needs to start and end with a free travel day, which is best used for long trips. I think it’s either a Swiss Half Fare Card or a 15-day Swiss Pass that would fit your plans, but you can do the math to be sure. Be sure to decide quickly if you want to save money on the Swiss Pass. You can only get the discount online.

For your information: a 6-day Swiss Flexi Pass is more expensive than a 8-day Swiss Pass because it’s valid for up to one month, whereas the Swiss Pass is just 8 days.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2014 at 16:55:58 #840901

Hi Arno, thanks for that. I think what might make more sense would be to get the 8 day Swiss Pass, and then only activate it after Luzern. So for the first trip I would just buy a standard train ticket from Zurich Airport to Luzern. and then after the 8 day pass will get me through the remainder of the trip.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 August 2014 at 17:42:51 #840902

That’s a good idea, provided that you stay in town during your days in Lucerne, or only make inexpensive trips. If you plan to visit mountain tops by cable car/funicular or do long boat trips, expenses will add up quickly without a pass. The Swiss Pass includes free boat trips, 50% off mountain trips, and Mount Rigi is free. Also many museums are free (e.g. the Glacier Garden in Lucerne).

• The thread ‘Best Swiss Pass to buy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.