Best Swiss Travel Pass option

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2015 at 13:21:14 #807247

Hello. I planned the following itinerary and would like to know which is the best travel pass to buy .There 2 adults and 2 youths in my group and we ail be travelling over 11 days only in Switzerland from May 27 – June 6. We would like to travel 1st class.

Day 1 : Zurich Airport to Interlakken to Wengen

Day 2 – Day 5 : Staying at Wengen and hiking at Jungfrau. Day 3 : travel to Schilthorn. Day 4 : Grindelward to First 4000 cable car ride. Day 5 : Lauterbrunnen Valley – cruise Lake Brienzersee

Day 6 : Check out from Wengen and travel to Zermatt

Day 7 – 8 : Visit Matterhorn and ICE museum

Day 9 : Leave Zermatt for Lucerne

Day 10 : Cruise on lake, Walk around Lucerne

Day 11 : Leave Lucerne for Zurich Airport

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    18 May 2015 at 17:09:24 #843162

Welcome to MySwissAlps, coco18!

I think a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass Flexi Combi is a good option for your itinerary. You can pick 4 days on which traveling is for free, which I’d use for day 1 (Zurich-Wengen), day 6 (Wengen-Zermatt), day 9 (Zermatt-Lucerne) and either day 10 or 11; that depends on how long and expensive your boat journey on the lake will be. The combi variant means that you’ll also get a discounted Swiss Half Fare Card, that allows you to buy 50% discounted tickets for all trips in between your first and last free travel day. The 50% discount is ideal for the shorter local trips you intend to make from Wengen and Zermatt.

Purchase options are listed here (make sure to select the Combi variant from the drop-downlist). Ordering through RailEurope World or RailEurope Singapore is best in your case.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2015 at 22:22:40 #843163

Hello Annika. Thank you so much for your advice.

Unfortunately, my husband made a mistake and bought the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass Flexi without selecting the combi option. Should we now buy for the Swiss Half Fare card separately ? Thank you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 May 2015 at 5:57:18 #843164

Hi coco18,

I’m sorry to hear that! Cancelling an order usually costs 15% so that’s probably not worth the hassle (you can check to be sure though). You can get separate Swiss Half Fare Cards through raileurope.com.sg/pass /swiss-half-fare-card, or see here for all the options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2015 at 13:31:07 #843165

Dear Arno,

Thank you for your advice.

May I know if I can purchase the Swiss Half fare card when I arrive at Zurich airport ?

Thank you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 May 2015 at 14:52:57 #843166

You’re welcome coco18! Please click the second link in my last post. All the options are listed there, including purchase at the airport (the last option in the list). It’s more expensive there than online, but it is possible.

• The thread ‘Best Swiss Travel Pass option’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.