Best time of year for panorama trains

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2017 at 20:39:36 #810588

My husband and I are planning a trip to take the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and William Tell express. What is the best time of year to go for best weather and views. We don’t want to have a ton of snow! We went to Zermatt on a tour once, and couldn’t see the Matterhorn because of poor weather.

Any info is appreciated.

Susan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 7:51:53 #858110

Hi Susan and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Unfortunately, weather in the mountains here can change quickly and drastically at any time of year.
    You’re best bet for good weather and less snow would be to travel in late July or August.

Take a look at our weather information page here for more details.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 12:12:38 #858111

Thanks! I saw some posts on Trip Advisor that recommend late September for the fall colors. What do you think about that time of year?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 16:44:04 #858112

Yes, it’s fair to say September can also be nice – I haven’t been there at that time of year though (only winter) so I can’t speak too much about it.

Lucas

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 January 2017 at 17:54:31 #858113

Hi Susan,

In general September is very nice: less tourists than in summer, still quite warm, and not too much rain (on average). For fall colors I’d prefer mid October, although it also depends on location and the weather of the season. Here’s some more information about the seasons: myswissalps.com/ besttimetovisit.

• The thread ‘Best time of year for panorama trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.