Best transportation way for 7 days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2015 at 9:36:29 #808220

Hi. We are planning to come to Switzerland in the second week of July. We will be travelling from Italy. I read that Bernina express travels from Italy to Chur. Is it true? What would you suggest us if we want to use Bernina express and spend 7 days travelling around the country? Is Swiss Travel Pass Flex suitable for us as we will spend a few nights at where we go ? Does it also cover the cost of Bernina express and any other expresses we would use? When can we buy it? And how do we use it if we choose 4 days within a month one? Thank you

Lem from Cyprus

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 December 2015 at 9:54:55 #847358

Hi Lem,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! What you read about the Bernina Express is certainly true. All the information is here: myswissalps.com/ berninaexpress.

I would suggest to take a train to Lugano. Then the Bernina Express bus to Tirano, and finally the Bernina Express train to Chur or St. Moritz, depending on how/where you would like to spend the rest of your week.

Which pass is most suitable depends on your itinerary. So you’d best create a detailed itinerary first, and select a pass based on that as explained here: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/ chooserailpass. If I had to guess right now, I would say an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass would be the best choice. That’s what most people do when traveling around the country for a week. You’ll find all the details here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass. Be sure to watch the video for a quick intro. Most passes can be purchased from 6 months before the travel date.

This page is helpful too: myswissalps.com/ plantrip/doityourself. Note that there are rail packages as well, if you don’t want to do all the planning yourself: myswissalps.com/ railholidays.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2015 at 10:07:36 #847359

Thank you 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2015 at 10:19:52 #847360

So is the cost of the Bernina expressed covered by the travel passes? And if we wont travel all 8 days isnt it better to buy the flexible one? As the price goes really high depending the number of days.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 December 2015 at 10:54:09 #847361

Hi Lem,

Sure it’s covered, except for seat reservations. You can check the map for what’s included in the pass: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

For most people the Swiss Travel Pass Flex (myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpassflex) is too expensive. The main reason for that is that travel days are more expensive than travel days of the Swiss Travel Pass. Plus, the discount on non-travel days (the Combi variant of the pass) is not valid before the first free travel day and after the last free travel day. So that’s kind of limiting. Also the consecutive pass is more convenient. But, as said, you need an itinerary first and then do the math. The Flex pass does not suit the average traveler very well, but it may suit you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2016 at 15:42:35 #847362

Hi again. I have another question. When i use the bernina express to come to switzerland from italy, does it count as a one day use from my swiss travel pass?

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 January 2016 at 16:41:40 #847363

Hi Lem,

The Swiss Travel Pass includes consecutive travel days. Whether or not you travel on such a day and which train you’re on does not matter, the day counts nonetheless. You can find details in the “How the use” section of the Swiss Travel Pass page: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2016 at 12:15:13 #847364

Sorry to interrupt again but when i read about bernina express i understand that it goes from chur to tirano but not from tirano to chur. Is it true? Or am i getting it wrong? Its a very important info for us so i want to be sure. Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 January 2016 at 13:20:06 #847365

Hi Lem,

No problem! The Bernina Express runs in both directions: Chur – Tirano, Tirano – Chur, and also part of the route: St. Moritz – Tirano and Tirano – St. Moritz. Plus, there are plenty of local trains as well running on the exact same route in both directions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2016 at 14:26:57 #847366

Thank you very much 🙂

• The thread ‘Best transportation way for 7 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.