Best views of Aletsch Glacier?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2014 at 12:05:08 #806311

Hi everyone, was wondering what is the best viewpoint of the Aletsch Glacier? Looking at the map it seems that only Bettmerhorn and Eggishorn get you up on top of the ridge so you can see the other side (or is that incorrect?) so would a good route be to hike from Bettmerhorn down to Marjelensee and down to Fiescheralp then catch the lift up to Eggishorn? Or is there a better way to go about it? Here’s an example of the route: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1262011

We would be arriving by automobile, should we park at Fiesch and then take bus/train to Betten to catch the lift up to Bettmeralp, and then the lift to Bettmerhorn? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    16 April 2014 at 10:23:26 #839754

Hi qwibbled,

The route you’re suggesting is one of the best. I did this one myself and really enjoyed the views. I choose to take the pedestrian tunnel to Obers Tälli after reaching the Vordersee, making the route a bit shorter. There are other routes too, like this one through the Aletsch forest, but then you will see the glacier from further away. The Eggishorn is a beautiful viewing point.

I’m not sure when you plan to do this, but right now the terrain is still covered in snow. This is a route for the Summer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2014 at 18:47:02 #839755

Hah, I had no idea there was a tunnel but now I see it, amazing. Thanks!

• The thread ‘Best views of Aletsch Glacier?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.