Best way to explore the Bernese Oberland in a day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 13:46:23 #811559

Hello, we will be staying in Lucerne this fall and looking to spend a day exploring Bernese Oberland area. What is the best way to get the most out of our time and get the best experience? We’re looking at either speding the day traveling to the top of Jungfrau or spending the day doing some of the hikes (Grütschalp to Mürren and Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg) and seeing some of the towns in the area (looking at doing the “See the Jugfrau region in one day” itinierary- http://www.myswissalps.com/on edayjungfrauregion ). Is the view from the top of Jungfrau considered unmissable? Is it too much to try to travel from Lucerne and do the hikes in one day?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 16:19:09 #862267

Hi pkr15 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Unfortunately, yes, you will have a very long day just getting to Jungfraujoch (4 hours by train each way).
    Is it possible to stay a night in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen for example? This will make it much more manageable and relaxed.

To help with travel planning on your train trips, use our timetable link here.

Lucas

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    28 April 2017 at 14:56:48 #862268

hi pkr15,

we have similar situation. Actually I’m going to stay 2 nights in Swiss; 1st day i’m gonna walk around the city in Lucern and 2nd day still have no precise plan but I’ve just found some programs by viator about 9-10 hours to explore bernesse oberland. But if I take that program I’ll have no time to explore Chur on 2nd night I’ll stay in there because I’m going to ride Bernina in the next morning. 2 choices in my mind; Mt Titlis 5-6 hours or bernesse.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2017 at 7:04:35 #862269

I’m afraid it’s a matter of priorities. These trips take time, especially if you’re not staying in the area. In case of mkaligis I would stay in Lucerne and visit Mount Titlis, then proceed to Chur the next day for the Bernina Express and give the Bernese Oberland a miss. Also note that the weather is an important factor. Traveling up to a peak only makes sense if it’s not cloudy. There are plenty of bad weather options in Lucerne.

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    29 April 2017 at 15:07:53 #862270

thanks for your suggestion arno. I agree that’s most realistic trip due to limited time but it’s hard for me to miss bernesse, that’s what makes me headache. If I choose mt titlis, I want to add lake lungern in my list.

Btw, I attach 2 pictures of lake lungern and lauterbrunnen that you might often see it. Any idea where is it ? I mean name of a place could restaurant or house or landmark from where the picture was taken ? I think it’s useless if I can reach the place, either lauterbrunnen or lake lungern but I don’t the spot to have such view.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2017 at 20:40:17 #862271

Hi mkaligis,

The picture in Lauterbrunnen was taken from the terrace of Hotel Jungfrau. The other I think was shot from the road called Bergstrasse, about 0.5 km north of the Lungern train station.

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    30 April 2017 at 15:05:12 #862272

Thanks Arno, will certainly save much my time 🙂

mkaligis
    Participant
    37 posts
    4 May 2017 at 4:47:38 #862273

I want to ask where the attached picture was taken, in IG it was only said Bernesse Oberland but where is it exactly ?

Michael.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 May 2017 at 14:14:18 #862274

Hi Michael,

This picture reminds me of the Kander valley. But I am not sure. The area around Frutigen looks like this in spring.

• The thread ‘Best way to explore the Bernese Oberland in a day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.