BOOKING FOR GLACIER EXPRESS FROM INDIA

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2010 at 5:00:03 #803910

My Family is planning to visit swizreland 0n 28 october to 9 november. MY journy started from Zurich. WE are interested to travel Glacier express from St.Mortize to Zermatt. Can anybody advice me how to book this reservation from india & Which swiss pass in better for my famil y ( 2ADULT + 1 YOUTH+ 1CHILD). WE are planning to spend one night in ST.Mortiz Three nights in Zermatt & Seven nights in interlaken & One neight Zurich What will be Wheather Condition in this days.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    15 July 2010 at 4:37:54 #831540

Hello paresh,

Are you aware of the fact that during the month of October many cable cars, gondolas and some cogwheel railways etc. will be closed because of the ending of the summer season?
    By the time you are in Switzerland your choices concerning transportation in mountain areas will be restricted.

Travelling by train over great distances usually means that Passes which will give you free travelling (all the time or on days of your choice) are the most economical option.

A rough calculation of the costs of travelling between the cities you mention can be made with the Timetable Switzerland and adds up to about CHF 350.
    Please view the features of a SwissPass. If you purchase Swiss Passes for two ore more persons travelling together you will get a 15% discount. This is called a Swiss Saver Pass (features can be found on the same page) and will be CHF 387 per person, 15 days, second class.
    Whether this will be economical for you depends on other trips you are planning to make.

Another possibility: have a look at the Swiss (Saver) Flexi Pass. The Swiss Saver Flexi Pass will cost between CHF 212 (3 days of free travelling) and CHF 337 (6 days of free travelling), also second class and per person. On the remaining days, a 50% discount applies on train, bus and boat tickets.

With these two Passes children up to and including 15years of age will be travelling for free.

If you have a Pass allowing you free travelling on the day you want to take the Glacier Express, you don’t have to order a ticket for this train. (The Pass is your ticket).
    However, you will have to pay for reservations for the Glacier Express, and reservations are obligatory!

Purchasing one of the passes can be done online on the mentioned pages, just click on “Order your … Pass here”, then “Show more countries” and then “India”.

Making reservations for the Glacier Express can be done through this page. I am not sure whether you will be able to make reservations at this early stage, maybe this has to be done later, but try to do it as soon as it is possible.
    For more questions I refer to the Railway FAQ.

As for the weather: no one can tell you for sure. Be prepared for sunny weather with nice temperatures, for rain and for snow (!). In autumn everything is possible.

I hope I have helped you with these answers and I wish you a very pleasant stay in Switzerland!

• The thread ‘BOOKING FOR GLACIER EXPRESS FROM INDIA’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.