Booking 1st class on Bernina Express and bus

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2017 at 5:00:59 #810869

I had some trouble booking on the RhB website. I want to travel from Chur to Tirano 1st class then on to Lugano on the connecting bus in May. The problem is that if you nominate 1st class for the train when you get to reserve seats on the bus it shows none available. I ended up doing two bookings. One for Chur to Tirano (1st Class) and another from Tirano to Lugano (2nd Class). I don’t know if I have ended up paying more for the overall trip as a result of this.

Am I correct in assuming there is no 1st class option on the bus.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2017 at 17:00:14 #859243

Hi rockoyster,

Yes, it sounds like a website issue. There is no 1st class on buses here – normally one booking gets you 2 reservations totaling 24chf. Is that what you ended up paying?

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 February 2017 at 2:35:38 #859244

Hi Lucas,

The two reservations totalled 28chf so maybe the price has gone up.

When you choose 1st or second class at the start of the booking there is a little information icon which when clicked reveals . . .

Change of class for part of the journey
    Would you like to travel in a different class for part of the journey?
    Please reserve your seats in your chosen class then select the «Tickets already purchased» option.
    You can purchase your tickets at the ticket office before you leave or from Railservice.

Your travel advisor will be pleased to help you. Tel. +41 81 288 65 65, railservice(at)rhb.ch. Daily from 7.00 am to 7.00 pm.

But I wanted to get the booking over and done with and besides if you do as advised above and start off with 1st Class you still get stuck when you get to the bus which shows no seats available. So you still need to do it as two seperate reservations. If you start off with a 2nd class booking for the train then there is no problem when you get to the bus reservation.

I will email RHB about the problem.

Perhaps most people just make reservations and decide on the day if the weather is worth actually taking the trip?

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 February 2017 at 10:19:35 #859245

Hi rockoyster,

The reservations are CHF 4 more expensive in summer, so that explains the price difference. It sounds like your booking is fine, but the RhB has a technical issue for 1st class bookings.

Enjoy the ride!

• The thread ‘Booking 1st class on Bernina Express and bus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.