Booking train and bus tickets online in advance

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2016 at 6:48:19 #809738

Hi

I am landing in Zurich on 25july with family (2kids) and need to travel to meggen balmstr. The journey to the hotel involves taking a bus as well. I don’t have any travel pass as my Swiss travel pass commences from the next day and so I need to buy tickets. I had the following questions

1. If I book train tickets for a particular time will it be flexible for me to use on a later or earlier train on the same route depending on timing of my flight and time taken and immigration and baggae etc?

2. Can I book the bus tickets in advance and online?

3. What tickets do I buy for the kids?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 July 2016 at 12:57:53 #854467

Hi Prem,

1. There is no pass (that I know of) that combines the bus and train. The ticket desk at the airport might be able to sell you a combined ticket. In any case they can sort out the best option.

2. I don’t think so. You could buy the train ticket in advance, but I think it’s easier to just ask the staff of the airport train station about the best option. Perhaps the SBB app allows this, but you would have to create an account and configure a payment method. You may not want to bother just for this single one time trip.

3. They travel for free if they are 5 or younger. If they are 5 to 15 they will get a 50% discount on the tickets. A Junior travelcard would not be worth it as they will travel for free as soon as you start using your Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘Booking train and bus tickets online in advance’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.