Booking Train Tickets with Swiss Passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2011 at 16:27:43 #804592

Hello,

We are a family 2 adults and 2 children (5 and 3 years old). We are planning to get swiss passes for me and my wife. I understand we don’t need to book any tickets for the trains with-in Switzerland that don’t need seat reservation. How about train from Luzern to Milan that needs reservation. We would like get seats for children also. If I go to sbb.ch web-site, I am unable to apply swiss pass for me and my wife. If I go to raileurope.com, I am unable to add children to the reservation (when I select SwissPass). Basically I would like to get 4 seats reserved, but apply Swiss Pass for me and my wife and get the seats together. Could you please explain if that’s possible?

Thanks

Vasan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    14 August 2011 at 5:58:17 #833825

Hi Vasan, and welcome to the forum. You’re right, most trains within Switzerland don’t require seat reservations, but international trains do. You can arrange for your seat reservations Lucerne-Milan through the Swiss timetable. Enter your connection, click ‘Fare/Buy’ and follow the steps in the order procedure. When asked if you have reductions for Switzerland during step 2 of the process, select ‘GA’ from the drop-downlist in the lower right corner for all 4 of you. This ‘General Abonnement’ equals the Swiss Pass in terms of discounts and free traveling. So if you select this, you won’t be charged for the Swiss leg of the trip, as that’s for free with the GA and Swiss Pass. Pick 1st class if you have a 1st class Swiss Pass and 2nd class if you have a 2nd class Swiss Pass.

The Swiss Pass itself can be ordered here. Just enter your country of residence and other data in the upper right corner for an overview of purchase options.

• The thread ‘Booking Train Tickets with Swiss Passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.