Bought a Swiss Travel Pass, I”m a Swiss citizen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2016 at 5:03:42 #808623

Hi,

I am a Swiss citizen with a Swiss passport. I’ve been living in the United States for almost 10 years under student/work visa programs and have not been back to Switzerland within that time. I do not have US citizenship or permanent residency. The terms and conditions of the Swiss Travel Pass state that residents of Switzerland are not eligible. Am I still considered a resident of Switzerland even though I have not lived there for almost 10 years? I already bought a Swiss Travel Pass with my American girlfriend because we are planning to visit the country as tourists.

I will also be giving my passport to the US Embassy in Bern for one to two weeks to obtain the necessary visa stamp before returning to the US. I will therefore not have my current passport for the majority of my trip, but I still have my old (void, hole punched) passport. However, the old passport numbers are different from the new one. Assuming that I am able to use the Swiss Travel Pass on the grounds that I am no longer a Swiss resident, am I still able to use the pass if I do not have my current passport with me at all times?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 March 2016 at 10:26:09 #849428

Hi Babbo, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The passport number on your Swiss Travel Pass must match the one you’re traveling with. Also the passport cannot be one from Switzerland or Liechtenstein. This would be the way to prove you do not live in Switzerland (anymore). I don’t know of a way around this, but you could ask the company you purchased from.

• The thread ‘Bought a Swiss Travel Pass, I”m a Swiss citizen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.