Busy-ness of Murren in August

• JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    21 June 2016 at 12:30:23 #809497

Hi, we will be staying in Interlaken in August. My plan for one of the days is to get the train to Lauterbrunnen, gondola to Grutschalp, train to Murren, funicular to Allmendhubel, then walk down to Gimmelwald, gondola down to Stechelberg and then do Trummelbach falls and then back to Interlaken by train. Gosh that actually sounds complicated now I’ve written it down, is that a reasonable plan for one day?

Anyway my actual question is, last year we did the Jungfrau trip from Interlaken in August and expected it to be busy so we got up at the crack of dawn and missed the crowds (although it was clearly getting incredibly crowded as we came down) – will the Murren side of the valley be as busy as the Jungfrau side? I would rather not get up so early but I hate crowds more than I love lie-ins so if it’s a case of squeezing into gondolas/train carriages later in the day I would do the early morning thing.

Thanks, Joey.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2016 at 9:21:18 #853313

A nice trip to do in one day. The trains to Lauterbrunnen, Grütsalp and Mürren and cablecar to Allmendhubel and Stechelberg are not busy in the sommer. You have plenty of place in the cablecars and trains. It is a nice trip to do.

In the Bernese Oberland only the trains to Jungfraujoch (from Kleine Scheidegg) are some times busy. Because every grouptrip are coing to Jungfrau.

al_w
    Participant
    8 posts
    22 June 2016 at 12:54:17 #853314

Hello Joey…… this is an excellent day hike and can be very beautiful. It is certainly less crowded than the Jungfrau side but I would say that August is vacation month so it can sometimes be busy…… therefore if you can do it a bit early (not the crack of dawn perhaps) it may give you a more pleasant ride. You didn’t mention your hiking experience so I’d add that the walk back the Lauterbrunnen valley from Stechelberg (via the falls of course) can be very warm if it is a sunny and hot day. You can always get on a bus if it gets too hot and you are a bit tired. One other suggestion I would make if it is to your taste, consider taking some apfelstrudel at Allmendhubel as a break. Also consider walking all the way down Allmendhubel to Gimmelwald .(just do the one way ticket up)…the view will be excellent and you could always then, if you are a bit tired, use the bus in the valley to the falls and then to the train station……I hope you have a great time ……..Al

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    23 June 2016 at 11:24:57 #853315

Thank you Brahms and awizdo for your replies, it’s reassuring to know that it’s not going to be a busy as the Jungfrau train and Brahms you’re right it was the train to and from Kleine Scheidegg that was most busy last year (in fact we bought our tickets for that leg the day before after checking the weather forecast as we were advised that they would sell out on the day and this was great advice as tickets were already sold out on the morning). Awizdo I will definitely keep the bus option open for the walk along the valley thank you – I have 2 children who are up for a bit of hiking but their enthusiasm for walking wears thin at the end of a long day, especially when the fun of the campsite beckons! I also LOVE apfelstrudel and will definitely be taking that piece of advice! Thank you!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 June 2016 at 16:52:02 #853316

Hi Joey –

i think you have paced it well, and the route is flexible enough to allow for adjustments for your children. . It should a nice day (weather permitting) not rushed, and with options along the way to use public transport instead of walking.

Have you walked from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg yet? If not, I’d suggest that you put it high on your list.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Slowpoke

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    24 June 2016 at 11:46:45 #853317

Thanks Slowpoke and for the photos, it looks stunning up there and is definitely on our list. I’m also eyeing up Bachalpsee as we will be going to First, but I’m not sure if there is an easy circular route to do this or whether you just walk there and back? I certainly won’t be taking the new cliff walk way which looks terrifying!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2016 at 12:26:03 #853318

The most walk to the Bachalpsee and same route back to First.

Also is posible to walk from the Bachalpsee to Faulhorn. A very nice walk, nice views and Faulhorn Hutte is a lovely restaurant, high in the mountains. This route is about 500 meters upstairs, but very good to do, also with childeren. On a nice day there is a lot of people on it.

Also is possible walk from First to Bachalpsee and back to Bort (Cablecar station). When you walk back from Bachalpsee, you must after 10 minutes the route to the right, down to Bort. Halfway there is a restaurant.

These walking routes possible in summer and winter. Watch the time for the last Cablecar back to Grindelwald !

Greetings from the Netherlands, Brahms

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    28 June 2016 at 11:17:05 #853319

Thank you Brahms for your helpful tips. I’ve got lots of decisions to make but I do love the planning stage!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2016 at 6:17:00 #853320

Hi friend slowspoke-sorry for hijacking.

i am looking for some tips how to spend my 1 extra day in wengen . your tips for a hike from mannlichen to kleine scheidegg -1.5 hrs. touched me. i searched the trip and found the like this

1. wengen to- mannlichen by cable— walk the trail to kl. scheidegg — come back to mannlichen by cable car —back to wengen by cable car. is the trip would be like this?

2. the price i found 46 CHF / 23 CHF with half fare card for the whole trip. is it correct?

thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2016 at 8:05:05 #853321

Hi Dipchat-

No problem – it is related to the thread.

<<“. wengen to- mannlichen by cable— walk the trail to kl. scheidegg — come back to mannlichen by cable car —back to wengen by cable car. is the trip would be like this?”>>

Partly correct.

Please review the link given a few posts back for a good description of the hike.

This map will help, especially if you zoom in and out and turn on “mountain transport” station under Traffic under Points of Interest in the menu.

The route is – Wengen to Männlichen by cable car ( to be precise – Wengen Wengiboden to Männlichenn (LWM).

Walk to Kleine Scheidegg.

Take cograil train – You may go down to Grindelwald, or down to Lauterbrunnen via Wengen to complet a circular route.

From KS you may also go up to Jungfraujoch- weather and available funds permitting.

When you zoom in on the map you will find the trail. You will also see symbols for lots of chairlifts. I believe they only run in winter for skiers.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2016 at 8:10:04 #853322

I am not Slowpoke, but Brahms ………

It is not possible to go with cable car from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen back.

On Männlichen you can also walk first the Männlichen “Royal Walk” to the top (30 minutes one way).

You can do this: Wengen cablecar to Mannlichen, > walk Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, > Kleine Scheidegg train to Wengen.

Also possible: After walk to Kleine Scheidegg, > walk Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp, > train Wengernalp to Wengen. This walk is about 40 minutes. It starts on the platform end of the Jungfraubahn.

Greetings Brahms

• The thread ‘Busy-ness of Murren in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.