Buying Super Saver Tickets with Half Fare Card

Buying Super Saver Tickets with Half Fare Card

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
geniewho
geniewho
25 posts
May 9, 2014 - 2:14 AM

Just wanted to confirm my understanding:

I am in a group of 2 adults travelling with 2 children between ages 6 to 16 and intend to get a Swiss Flexi Pass which can act as a half fare card in-between the 1st and last jouney.

If I intend to buy Super Saver tickets on sbb.ch, which require me to print out online tickets, should I just buy for the 2 adults (indicating I have ahalf fare card).

I do not need to indicate anything for the children right since the Flexi pass with a Family Card allows children in that age group to travel for free.

Cos if I try to indicate a child while buying Super Saver tickets, they charge me a fare because the system probably assumes the child is not travelling with the adult?

I am just worried that if I buy the Super Saver tickets for just 2 adults, the children will have problems getting up the train. I encountered such experience in other European countries where I am required to input children's details even if the admission/fare is zero.

Thanks in advance.

Annika
Annika
4355 posts
expert &
May 9, 2014 - 10:41 AM in reply to geniewho

Hi geniewho,

You don't need tickets for the children, because you have a Swiss Family Card. You may have run into problems in other countries because of seat reservations: tickets and seats are separate things. Children may travel for free, but if a train requires seat reservations they don't have a seat if you don't get those reservations for them. However, trains in Switzerland don't require seat reservations, apart from a few panoramic trains.

geniewho
geniewho
25 posts
May 15, 2014 - 1:19 AM
Thanks for the advice Annika!
kim11
kim11
320 posts
top member
May 15, 2014 - 2:11 PM in reply to geniewho

>I am in a group of 2 adults travelling with 2 children between ages 6 to 16<

If one of the children has reached their 16th birthday by the days of your travel he/she will need an adult pass and ticket. Family Card only valid through age 15

http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfamilycard

Annika
Annika
4355 posts
expert &
May 15, 2014 - 3:19 PM

Good point Kim, thanks!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016