Buying Swiss Saver Pass in Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2010 at 10:18:50 #804925

I will be entering Switzerland on June 23 from Basel and I would like to know if I can buySwiss Saver Pass at Basel station?
    Or I have to buy it in Paris?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    11 June 2010 at 13:16:07 #834868

Hello Jeffri,

You can indeed purchase your Swiss Saver Pass at the railway station of Basel. An online purchase in advance is an option as well.

Have a nice trip!

(I’m sorry, this was my original answer, but I accidentally deleted it 😉 – that’s why it disappeared shortly after I posted it!)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2010 at 13:29:39 #834869

Thank you Olga

I do not have time for online purchasing, since I will be traveling in less than 4 days.

Thanks

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    12 June 2010 at 1:37:42 #834870

I see – but purchasing your Pass in Basel will be no problem.

Again, have a nice trip. I hope you will enjoy Switzerland!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2010 at 18:42:43 #834871

I just finished checking out the price of the 4 day Swiss Pass and then checked the price of the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass for 2 adults and found them to be the same price, I read that when buying for 2 you select the SSP and it will be cheaper, has anyone else checked this out and found out that their is no difference in the price.
    SA

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 June 2010 at 10:24:31 #834872

Hello Shirley! You’re right: Swiss Saver Passes, for 2 or more people travelling together, are cheaper than regular Swiss Passes. A regular 4 day Swiss Pass costs CHF 260.00 (per person, in 2nd class), a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass costs CHF 221.00. All prices can be reviewed in this price list.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2010 at 6:59:27 #834873

We(me and my wife) are planning to travel to Switzerland for 3 days over the weekend + monday from Frankfurt. Someone has suggested me the most economical way would be travel to Basel and then take Swiss Flexi Saver Pass. Is it true ? Or do we have any other option ?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    23 June 2010 at 7:54:58 #834874

The Swiss Flexi Pass does sound like a good idea. It will allow you to travel unlimited for free during your stay in Switzerland and you will have discounts. More information can be found on the link I just gave you. You will receive a 15% discount when purchasing a Swiss Flexi Pass for 2 people. You can purchase the pass at the railway station in Basel. Depending on what you are planning to do there may be other options, but I think this Pass will suit you fine.

Have a nice trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2010 at 9:06:12 #834875

I heard there are two train stations in Basel , while coming from Frankfurt for which Station I should take ticket for ? So that I can buy and start using that Flexi pass immediately

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    23 June 2010 at 9:31:10 #834876

Hello Rohankayan, any SBB-Railway Station will do, I guess. If not, I hope one of the moderators will correct me…
    To complete my former answer: please note that the costs of seat reservations are not included, as you can read here.

Enjoy Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2010 at 10:51:38 #834877

That means any of the station among “Basel Badischer Bahnhof ” and “Basel SBB” will work ?

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 June 2010 at 13:30:40 #834878

Hi Rohankayan,

The Swiss Pass or Swiss Flexi Pass can be purchased on both stations, but I recommend Basel SBB. It’s a larger station with easy connections to other towns. Be sure to ask for the Swiss Saver Pass or Swiss Saver Flexi Pass as I assume you will be traveling together at all times. That’s 15% cheaper as Olga mentioned. The Swiss Saver Pass offers free traveling on all days, the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass offers 3, 4, 5 or 6 days of free traveling within one month (you may choose these days yourself). Please visit the pages I linked to for further details.

Have a beautiful weekend!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2010 at 13:43:30 #834879

I will be reaching Basel SBB around 7:00 PM. Can I buy Swiss pass so late?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    1 September 2010 at 14:37:34 #834880

Hello Travelguruhouston,

I’m not quite sure if you can purchase a Swiss Pass at that time, but perhaps this overview of the SBB Railway Station in Basel can help you.
    Of course there’s always the possibility of ordering the Pass online, if you have time before you leave for Switzerland, then you will have the Pass in advance.

Lots of success and have a pleasant trip!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2010 at 14:48:02 #834881

Thank you Olga for quick response. Unfortunately I am leaving for Paris on Saturday. We will take train from Paris to Basel on Sunday afternoon. Can we buy Swiss pass in Paris?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    1 September 2010 at 15:05:42 #834882

No, I’m afraid not. So hopefully you will be in time to purchase it in Basel. To make sure you can contact the SBB. I’ll keep my fingers crossed :-)!

Have a beautiful trip!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2010 at 15:27:05 #834883

Thanks again, one more question, what is cheapest way(other then walking) from paris-basel. Can I just go at Paris railway window and buy ticket for next schedule train. Online it is costing more then 100 euro per person.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2010 at 7:22:36 #834884

Thanks for all you help. I contacted SBB office as you mentioned. They replied today. This may help future user.
    “Yes, you can buy the Swiss Pass at the ticket counter on Switzerland.
    The open hours from the ticket counter Basel: daily form 06.00h until 21.00h”
    Unfortunately I did not wait for reply enough and bought Eurail France-Switzerland pass.

Annika
    7104 posts
    2 September 2010 at 14:16:15 #834885

Hello travelguruhouston. Thanks for letting us know what the SBB answered. I hope you’ll enjoy travelling with your Eurail France-Switzerland Pass!

If you’ll be using a free travel day with this pass for the trip from Paris to Basel, the trip will be for free. You do need seat reservations though.

If you wont’be using a free travel day for this trip, you’ll have to pay the regular full price. Prices can differ, and the exact quotes will depend on how early you book, at what time of the day you want to travel, and so on. I wouldn’t recommend to purchase your ticket right before boarding the train. Seat reservations are required on such an international trip, and if you don’t book well in advance, you may find out that all seats are reserved. Prices may be higher when booking shortly in advance, too. You can book your trip through this page, by entering Paris as your departure station and Basel as your arrival station. Enter your travel date and time as well and choose one of the connections the timetable shows.

Good luck and kind regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2010 at 14:50:21 #834886

Hello Annika,

Thank you so much. This website and you guys have been so helpful. I have never come across such helpful forum before. I am leaving for Paris this Saturday. I will use pass for Paris-Basel-Bern section of trip on Sunday evening. I will make reservation today. You and Olga have been very helpful.

Thank you,

sugarp1um
    Participant
    27 posts
    21 February 2012 at 10:51:07 #834887

Hi we are residing in Singapore and we are visiting a friend in Switzerland in July.
    Would be arriving Switzerland via Basel Airport.

http://www.myswissalps.com/swisspass
    From the website above, it seems that the cheapest way to purchase the pass is in Switzerland train station.

So just wondering.
    – Can we get our friend to purchase the swiss pass for us at the Basel Train Station without our passports or ID?
    – Alternatively, is it possible to order online and send the pass to her place in Basel? If so, which website should we go to?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The thread ‘Buying Swiss Saver Pass in Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.