Bying a single train ticket

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2011 at 12:02:43 #804389

Hello,

Trying to get some advice from here as the SBB’s contact form keeps telling me about bad syntax…

I’ll arrive to Zurich airport on 20th June am and will be travelling to Val Muestair (Klostermuseum) with three different trains and a post bus. That’s the only train journey I will make while staying in Switzerland. Now, I could buy an e-ticket online but wonder if it would be for a specific time or just for the chosen day? As I’m not sure how long it will take to queue up for my luggage, I don’t dare to buy the ticket(s) if they are valid only for the chosen time.

If I don’t buy the e-ticket, should I buy the tickets beforehand at the station? Are there machines or do I have to queue up for personnel? Can I buy tickets onboard? Is there some kind of extra payment if I’ll do so?

I would be thankful for any advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 June 2011 at 14:22:51 #833140

Hi nuppu,

Welcome here! If you just do the single trip to Val Müstair, you can purchase an e-ticket from the website or a paper ticket from the ticketing machine or service desk at the rail station of Zürich Airport. E-tickets are valid for a particular day, so you’re not required to travel on a specific train. Details are on sbb.ch.

If you travel back from Val Müstair to Zürich as well, a Swiss Transfer Ticket is cheaper.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2011 at 15:06:34 #833141

Hello Arno,
    Many thanks for a quick and informative answer. This is a qreat forum!
    Greetings from Finland, nuppu

• The thread ‘Bying a single train ticket’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.