Cable car to Matterhorn or train to Gornergrat?

Cable car to Matterhorn or train to Gornergrat?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
premj
premj
33 posts
Jul 31, 2016 - 7:15 PM

Hi

I have a day in zermatt tomorrow and can't make up my mind between the cable car to Matterhorn or the train ride to gornergrat. Am traveling with 2 kids and they would be interested in some activity as well besides just good views..... Guess trying to do both in a day will be too much? The weather forecast for both locations is sunny but with scattered clouds. Fortunately no rain is forecast. Any suggestions or experiences will be welcome

AlanPrice
AlanPrice
30 posts
Aug 1, 2016 - 5:35 AM in reply to premj

Hi,

For my money, the views from the Gornergrat are superb. The Kulisse (row of mountains) from the Monte Rosa to the Matterhorn are laid out in front of you and you can walk down to Riffelberg to catch the train back to town. Or you can take the Gondola to Schwarzsee, but there's not much to do there unless you want to hike up to the Hörnlihütte which has more fantastic views and you are actually on the Matterhorn! Alternatively, take the cablecar to the Klein Matterhorn. It's above the summer snowline,so you can go skiing. ( I haven't skiied there, so I don't know if you can hire gear there, or have to get it in town. Just ask at the Alpin Zentrum). There's also an ice grotto to explore.

If the kids want more adventure, try the Forest Fun Park. Lots of Zip Lines, rope ladders and climbing poles. A real Hoot! www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Attractions/Forest-Fun-Park

Have Fun

Xanderken
Xanderken
2 posts
Aug 1, 2016 - 10:17 AM in reply to premj

Defenetly Gornetgrat!!!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016