Cablecar costs for families & Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2017 at 20:20:07 #812654

Hi,

I’m really wondering about the price. It seems this site suggests I use the half-fare pass during my vacation (starting end of this week). But it’s really hard to figure out what the discounts are.

For example Mittelallalin on this website : http://www.saas-fee.ch/en/skifahren/pr ices/ski-pass-prices/

It shows I get 50% discount, but do my kids still pay the full price for children, or will they be free?

Another example is the Jungfraujoch, which I get no discount for at all, according to the website?

With the Matterhorn glacier paradise I can order tickets for adults half-price, but kids get no discount. However on the side of the page (shop.swissrailways.com /excursionmatterhorn.h tml?affiliateid=23&languag e=en&currency=CHF) it says “STS Family Card can be used on this route!” Does that again mean my kids travel for free?

How am I supposed to know which is what? Should I order the half-fare tickets or not?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 1:30:33 #866998

Hi dvdstelt, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> it’s really hard to figure out what the discounts are. For example Mittelallalin … shows I get 50% discount, but do my kids still pay the full price for children, or will they be free?

If your children are aged under 6, they will travel free. If they are aged 6 to 15, and you have the free Family Card, they will also travel free. You don’t need to buy them a ticket.

>> Another example is the Jungfraujoch, which I get no discount for at all, according to the website?

With the Swiss Half Fare Card, you will get 50% discount, and the children will travel free as described above.

>> With the Matterhorn glacier paradise I can order tickets for adults half-price, but kids get no discount … “STS Family Card can be used on this route!” Does that again mean my kids travel for free?

Yes, if you have that card and they are aged between 6 and 15. You don’t need to buy them a ticket.

Unfortunately many mountain transport websites are not very clear about child fares.

>> Should I order the half-fare tickets or not

I would not buy any mountain transport tickets in advance. It is better to wait until 24-48 hours beforehand, so you have a good idea of whether the weather will be suitable for a mountaintop trip. If the peaks are in the clouds, it’s a waste of money to go up. You can also buy tickets on the day of travel of course.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 July 2017 at 2:55:55 #866999

Hi Alpenrose,

Isn’t the discount on Jungfraujoch only 25% with Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Half-Fare Card?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 3:43:35 #867000

Hi rockoyster,

>> Isn’t the discount on Jungfraujoch only 25% with Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Half-Fare Card?

No, you do in fact get the full 50% discount on the Jungfraujoch trip with the Swiss Half Fare Card!

The legend on the validity map confirms this: the number “1” inside the circle, which denotes a 25% reduction with the Swiss Travel Pass, doesn’t apply to the Half Fare Card, which has a separate legend.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 July 2017 at 5:07:41 #867001

Learning, learning, learning. 😉

I see the legend for Swiss Half-fare Card with a ② but for the life of me can’t find a ② on the map. 🙁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 5:53:29 #867002

Hi dvdstelt,

You can find a map showing the route covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here, and the Swiss Half Fare Card here. The Swiss Half Fare Card gets you 50% off virtually every route in Switzerland. The Swiss Travel Passcovers most routes 100%. The main difference is Jungfraujoch where the Swiss Travel Pass only gets you 25% off between Grindelwald or Wengen to the top (but all travel to get to Grindelwald or Wengen is free).

With either rail pass, you can order the Swiss Family Card for free (if you have kids between 6 and 15 as Alpenrose mentions). If they are under 6 they won’t need to have a ticket for any train, gondola boat etc.

I hope everything makes more sense now – it can be a bit of information overload with train in Switzerland!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 5:55:24 #867003

Hey Rockoyster,

There is only a ② on the route to Mont Blanc / Chamonix (no reduction). I don’t believe there are any others hiding on the map?! 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 July 2017 at 6:08:07 #867004

Darn, going to have to get my specs updated. Thanks Lucas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 7:25:46 #867005

Thanks a lot for all the information! Really, really appreciate it!

I just looked at some webcams for Titlis and Mittelallalin and there’s hardly any snow at the moment. That’s really unfortunate. We hardly see any snow in The Netherlands, was hoping to show the kids some real snow! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 15:02:11 #867006

Yes, not a lot of snow this summer but Mittelallalin and Jungfraujoch are your best bets for a little snow.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 2:45:29 #867007

Also check out reddit as there is supposed to be a 2 month half fare pass special available for 33CHF through Aug 15.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 July 2017 at 9:56:55 #867008

Do not try this unless you are a Swiss resident. It is for domestic use only. Not for international visitors.

See attached.

(Google Translation:

VOUCHER

Trial half-fare for two months for the price of 33 francs

The offer is available against the delivery of this voucher at a public transport station. Pro voucher can only be purchased by a half-taster (official ID required).(????)

The 33 Swiss francs can be charged when purchasing a normal half-fare subscription with validity date without interruption from the end of the trial half-fare.

Sales duration: 1.7. To 15.8.2017 Article number: 8272 Order-Code: TCS17)

• The thread ‘Cablecar costs for families & Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.